A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
Yes. It's a Middle/High School combo in a very wealthy area of So.Cal.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
I'm guessing from your mention of the petition that you've subbed with this lot. Pretend for a moment that you're the teacher for whom the LTS is needed: based on what you know of them and of the community (both school community and outside), what would you want a really good LTS knowing and doing with them?

When does the LTS start? Will you have a chance to coordinate with the teacher who's leaving before you take up the reins?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
I am HOPING I have a chance to meet with the LTS. The job starts Monday. I had 2 jobs lined up for later in the month so I canceled them. The subbing desk hasn't put my name in yet, so I'm nervous. I told the subbing desk I will come and meet with them at any time this week. Should I be worried that the LTS assignment isn't in yet?

Anyway, to answer your question, if I was the teacher leaving, I would want the person taking over to know:

1. The needs of all my students.
2. Classroom management.
3. How to create a fun yet effective learning environment.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Devotee

I hope it works out for you!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Hugs on the uncertainty; you're within your rights to want to doublecheck, and this might be a good question to run by the office (or whoever is in charge of lining up LTSs). Is this a last-minute LTS? The kids are likely to feel pretty adrift.

You've given me good general answers. Based on your knowledge of the school and the kids, think about (but don't necessarily post here, if it will compromise anyone) how much more specific you could get: think in terms of what conditions are like THERE as opposed to elsewhere.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
Yes. It's last minute. Her husband got a job elsewhere and they only just found out last week.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Have you subbed for this teacher before? Interacted with her at all?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
I've subbed for her twice. In fact, she came up to the sub desk to rave about what a wonderful sub I was and all her kids had the nicest things to say about me. I've never actually MET her though. With the exception of once last year. She was sharing a room with a teacher I was subbing for and it was my prep period while she was heavily pregnant--so I went to go an get her some tea from Starbucks.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Do you know how to get in touch with her?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
I have her email, but I definitely don't want to bother her considering tomorrow is her LAST day with the students. Friday is a non-student day, but a work day for the teachers. I have emailed the lady at the subbing desk at the district office who offered the job to me asking me how to proceed if I DON'T hear from her (ie: assume I have/do not have the job). I'm sure right now she's busy with finals and putting in the last grades for the semester. I certainly don't want to be pushy.

Either way, I'm excited if I _DO_ have the job and excited for the chance to prove myself to possibly have it last the rest of the year and on the other side of the coin, if I don't get it--I'm delighted that I haven't even been subbing a full year yet and have been considered and in the running for TWO LTS assignments this year alone. It shows I'm making a name for myself and that I _WILL_ make a good teacher when the time for my own classroom does indeed come.

Tags
calls, paranoid, week