A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Rookie

Michigan
Substitute Teacher
I've only called the office for classroom discipline (non-agression, non-hostile) once. There were 36 6th graders in a self-contained class with no posted rules or consequences, no parapro, and no teacher's aide. I'm amazed I was still sane at the end of the day. I literally had to shout into the microphone system to be heard, and I'm NOT a quiet person. In that case, the office pulled out a handful of students to do something else (I think they became office helpers for the afternoon) to help alleviate the strain on my fragile nerves. I've never called the office for class discipline any other time. I agree with fire, flood, vomit, blood. Add bullying, though.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Rookie

Substitute Teacher
I am not very experienced, however I figured that the best reward for students is the resess extention. so I bring a lot of work with me in case teacher did not leave enough. Then In the beginning I tell students that I am going to pass all the unfinished work and today's work + extra, and if they finish earlier we will extend the resess. One time I had a boy to finish his 4-day delinquent work and todays assignment in 20 minutes, and ahead of everyone. He had the whole resess instead of zero. Usually in this setting everyone works fast. I also ask those who finished sooner to help other students so we can have even longer resess. It never failed yet
Old 01-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Faster work doesn't always mean good work.
As a classroom teacher I would not be happy with poorly done completed work or with finding out my kids spent valuable learning time at extra recess. The work I leave for my students is not to be rushed through. I'd rather work be done well and other things not gotten to than rushed through work rewarded with recess.

Tags
administration, contact, legitimate, reasons