A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Rookie

Albuquerque, NM
High School Teacher
Disruptive Asst. Principal

As of the past four or five months, there is an assistance principal at my school who has been increasingly disruptive of my classroom time. To define disruptive, he wanders in at random intervals, once in awhile he sits down and acts like he is doing an informal evaluation (which that [evaluations] I do not mind in the least).

Most of the time though, he wanders in with a coffee cup and tries to strike up idle conversations while I'm teaching. While I'm having a discussion with the students, or trying to help them with their work he will loudly ask an off topic question which derails my line of thought and throws the students off. The students are getting angry about this too and have verbalized their disdain for these daily intrusions.

Also, he has taken it upon himself to sit down at my desk, move around the knick knacks students have given me over the year, and I've caught him more than once going through my computer while under the impression I've fully turned around to ignore him (which to clarify, I have nothing to hide and it is a school computer, but I don't see why he feels this is necessary or acceptable). I have tried communicating with him about messing with my desk possessions but he either doesn't care or it goes over his head.

Additionally, he is the one that technically needs to approve departmental purchase orders, field trips, class scheduling, etc... and fights me all the way. He refuses to do purchase orders, won't approve new classes, and is flippant about field trip scheduling. To get anything done, I have to go over his head, every single time.

Lately I've just been trying to ignore him, which works for a short time, but as he is my first supervisor I feel I'm in a gray area between respecting him/accepting this behavior and telling him to get lost.

I've spoke with the principal and later the superintendent about him being a classroom menace but without results. They all seemed to be exasperated as soon as I mentioned his name, so I'm assuming this is not an isolated case. Despite telling me they will or have talked to him, nothing has changed. Even though he doesn't seem to be #1 on anyone's list, no one seems willing to crackdown on him.

I'm just not sure what to do, but this is becoming an increasingly frustrating and stressful situation, not just me but the students as well. I'm moving towards the point where I dread teaching certain classes because I know he will show up sooner or later. I absolutely love the school and kids but he is making me reconsider renewing my contract this year.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Connoisseur

Florida
It sounds like he KNOWS something about the higher ups and uses it to his advantage. And it sounds like he is a nut case.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Rookie

Albuquerque, NM
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenpe View Post
It sounds like he KNOWS something about the higher ups and uses it to his advantage. And it sounds like he is a nut case.
That was my initial thought too. As annoyed as they seem to be with him, no one will do anything which makes no sense in a regular situation.

Furthermore, I was told by a co-worker early on that all of the teachers he has supervised during his six year reign have resigned within 2 -9 months after being hired. I didn't understand why then, but I certainly do now.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Connoisseur

Florida
Do you think it is a form of sexual harassment?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Lordy, that's creating a hostile work environment! If it isn't sexual harassment, I suspect that there's something else that the people who've resigned under his "supervision" might have in common that's motivating him, and if his superiors decline to do anything about it, I'd document like mad - on a computer that never, ever goes to school - and then go to the teachers' union, or failing that to the New Mexico Public Employee Labor Relations Board, http://www.pelrb.state.nm.us/pelrbhelp.html.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Kaseta,

I'm so incredibly sorry you're dealing with this. Please follow TeacherGroupie's advice and keep us posted!

~YTG
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
See if you can track down some of those others, and let's hope they're willing to talk.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenpe View Post
Do you think it is a form of sexual harassment?
I was thinking this as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I'm just curious - or maybe I've missed something - but why would this be sexual harassment?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Guru

Before you mentioned him being difficult about field trips and such, I thought he was doing a poor job of "flirting". He still may someone be trying to dominate you. Documents everything. Everything!

Tags
asst, disruptive, principal