A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Devotee

East Coast
Primary Elementary Teacher
There's a really prestigious university about 30 minutes up the road that has near impossible standards to get into. However, there's a loophole -- if you transfer in from a school that they have an alliance with, their requirements are a lot more lax, especially if you earned high marks.

One of my co-workers has an undergrad from some other random school. Then, she applied for a "lesser" university that the prestigious one accepts credits from, got in, and took three graduate courses. She worked hard, got good grades, then transferred into the prestigious school, which happily accepted her as a transfer student.

My advice would be for your friend to see if there are any other schools that have an alliance (will accept credits from) the school she really wants

Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
Well, this is just one of the many California State Universities...not a certain unique college where there's only one in the world, etc., but that's good to remember!

With this univerisity, they don't care where you got your undergrad degree from. I'm sure the priority may come rom those who went to that univ as well, but my friend didn't, so that part's done now.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Devotee

I'm surprised that so many programs only select a few students a year. You would think that they would want more students for more money. The university I went to for graduate school actively recruits students. But it's a profit based school so maybe that's why. I didn't have to turn in any recommendations.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat53 View Post
I'm surprised that so many programs only select a few students a year. You would think that they would want more students for more money. The university I went to for graduate school actively recruits students. But it's a profit based school so maybe that's why. I didn't have to turn in any recommendations.
My university paid out fellowships/associate instructorships to all graduate students. We didn't pay any tuition. In fact, they gave us a monthly stipend and covered all our healthcare costs (at the university hospital) as part of the package. Prestigious, full-time, academic/scholarly programs often do that.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
My university paid out fellowships/associate instructorships to all graduate students. We didn't pay any tuition. In fact, they gave us a monthly stipend and covered all our healthcare costs (at the university hospital) as part of the package. Prestigious, full-time, academic/scholarly programs often do that.
Same with mine, no tuition plus a stipend
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Habitué

I know of at least one CSU that has a VERY competitive SLP program, it may be the one your friend is trying to get into. It's pretty notorious. I don't think I'd keep applying after three rejections. There are other programs out there.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
bison, I've heard of 2 CSU's with very competitive SLP programs, so there's likely a 50/50 chance that you're thinking the same one I'm speaking of. I'm sure I glad made it in 2010.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
I must say, I'm pretty angry for my friend! She contacted the program coordinator to find out how she can improve, which she's done times before when she wasn't accepted. She was told to repeat a couple of B- grade classes, get letters of rec from higher-up people (not friends, etc.), & take the MAT exam (even though they accept the GRE as well).

I'm mad because you mean to tell me the coord couldn't tell her this YEARS AGO?!...unless she only told her what she wanted her know back then. Yrs ago, I told her I took the MAT as well even though you only need the GRE OR MAT. When you take both, it shows that you're going above & beyond & you need to do every little thing to help stand out. My friend should have known not to get letters of rec from friends. Geesh! Years have literally been wasted for her trying to get accepted.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. I View Post
[BA. My friend should have known not to get letters of rec from friends. . [/B]
is there no one else who could write her a letter of rec?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
Well, my friend just got a SLP job working with pre-schoolers. Her district's giving her a total of 7 years to be accepted to & complete a grad program. I've never heard of any disitrct giving people that much time. Soi happy for her!

czacza, I'm sure she knows better next time & with this new job, she'll have more people to write one for her.

Tags
charm