A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Multiple Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Rookie

New York
CST Multi Subject NY

Ok~ So here I am again asking for some advice. I am scheduled to take the CST Multi Subject test for NY next month. I have taken them countless of times and cannot pass the dang test. Last time I took it,I missed it by 2 points. I am so frustrated. Each time I do not pass, it seems like the subareas that I do poorly in, change. I have reviewed with countless of books and they don't compare to what the test is actually like. This is the last test I need to take in order to be certified. (Hopeing that this will be the last time to take it as well) Please I need all the advice and encouragement that I can get at this point.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Rookie

New York
Does anyone have any pointers? Please help!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Hugs, NYGIRL. Do you tend to change your answer?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Novice

USA
Preschool Teacher
That test is very difficult and Its so frustrating. I failed the CST the first time i took it, and just made it and passed it the second time i took it. Advice that was given to me, and which I did use for some questions was 1.) covering up the answers for the multiple choice section and READING the section first. Its supposed to help you so that you won't get confused looking at the answers all at the same time. And to help you form an answer in your head before you choose one. 2.) Process of elimination.<---this one I LIVE by. Some parts you may know and some parts you are NOT going to know. But If you cross out things that really is wrong or even if you have to guess it, it does give you a sense of relief and help you make the better guess I feel.

I am not the best test taker myself. I guessed MANY parts of this exam. If I would have changed B to C I would have failed it again lol. However the second time I took it, I did take longer on some questions to make sure I got it right. Do you take the whole 4 hours? What I did to prep the second time around was only review the parts i didn't do so well in. I did get higher in them, and somehow got a perfect score in two subareas which I feel got me the passing score. I know you said you read every book but I'd say review the REA book if you have it. OR just review the subareas you got the lowest scores in. To me that book, gave to the point, yet thorough explanations of each subarea. Take notes I feel that writing helps you remember. Just my opinion lol

Lastly you WILL PASS THIS TEST. Its very difficult to pass, and many of my peers had to take this test more than a few times. And it was by the grace of God I passed it this second time. Either way I knew it my heart that things will be alright. Things will be alright, you got this test nailed, and you will be certified!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Comrade

New York
Kindergarten Teacher
NYGIRL - Let me be one of the fellow teachers that say I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!! I had to retake this god forsaken test quite a few times. I did finally pass it. I also took the special ed CST and I found even THAT one easier than the multi-subject, some sub-areas being so ridiculous! I mean, when are we going to teach our students consumer science and exercise?! It's a tough test because it's different content areas. My advice is to go with your gut feeling and use process of elimination.

Also, have you considered taking it on the computer? It's more money, but it's quieter, you're provided with noise-cancellation earphones and earplugs, have more options of when to take it, and so on. I think that's what got me to pass. I was able to concentrate a lot more. It took me until the time I took the special ed CST to realize that (I have no idea how I passed that one!)

Well, that is my advice. You'll pass one day, it's luck with this test.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Newcomer

New York
Hey there i have to take that test too .. and am just so confused about where to start preparation.. can u please help me with what books to use.. i have a foreign education myself and hence very less information about the American social science,history etc.
Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Tags
cst, multi, subject