A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Comrade

China
1st Grade ESL
Oh boy. I have this happen a lot. I always simply let the aide take over the class and just help with management. One time I even had a teacher expressly tell me that she wanted the special ed. aide to teach the class and me just to watch. I guess the only reason I was there was because the aide couldn't legally be there by herself.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Rookie

Substitute Teacher
Yeah, and that's fine if A) The aide is there for the entire day and is that classroom's permanent full time paraprofessional or B) The teacher wrote that the aide was supposed to take over the role of teacher.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Multitudinous

Maybe this is just a difference of experience, but seriously. I would trust a para or aide to handle a class way before I'd trust an unknown substitute teacher to do so. The para/aide works with the students every day. The sub is sort of a drive-by, in-and-out sort of presence, who doesn't necessarily know or understand how the kids work or how the regular teacher handles the class.

And let's be honest here. The purpose for the sub being there isn't so that the sub can demonstrate her love of teaching or so that she can practice her craft. It's because the teacher is absent. The purpose of any adult being in any classroom is to guide children towards academic success. However that happens is how it needs to happen. Why fight it when an apparently qualified, competent adult who already knows the students wants to help make that happen? Watch and learn. That's my advice.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Substitute Teacher
Most subs are competent and certified teachers with a vast amount of classroom experience to offer. Also, they are the ones that will be blamed if the teacher's lesson plans aren't executed properly. Most substitutes have a love for learning and education and that's why they are there, because they want to educate children, not just to collect a paycheck.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Groupie

I think I've had assistants who are as you described. It has become less an issue as the years have gone by because IMO, I think I've become a better teacher. In other words, I think these type of people (who are rude, overstepping) pounce on opportunities to exert themselves, especially when someone seems unknowing, new, unsure, etc. So I don't know if I'd actually go to her and tell her to 'cease & desist'. More so, I think I'd just power through any lessons she'd be sitting in on, and do it as smooth and in-control as I could. She wouldn't very well interrupt another in-charge teacher in her school; I doubt she'd do it if you showed how capable you are as a teacher.

It's kind of like the mentality you might have during observations (during S/T'ng). You try not to make any mistakes, and you just power your way through. I think you need to bring the same no-nonsense way here, until she realizes that you are the real-deal.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Habitué

Rocklin, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali*teacher View Post
... but never had the experience of someone just talking outloud during lessons and trying to take control of a class while I was teaching. She should go through a credentialing program if that is what she wants to do. ...
I'm not aware of any credentialing program which trains participants to be self-centered and rude. Doesn't matter what position this person occupies - aide, teacher, principal, Pope - little good comes from disrespecting others. She is essentially disciplining you in front of the class. A person who views herself as a professional would avoid doing this. This problem has little to do with teaching or who knows the kids. It's about someone with issues who compensates by trying to act powerful and controlling.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Rookie

Michigan
Substitute Teacher
I don't think I would go to the principal at this point. I would, however, mention it to her. I had this happen with a parapro a couple years ago. After about 4-5 interruptions/corrections, I told the class to quietly read the next 2 pages to the people at their tables. Then I quietly said to her, "The way my teaching style is, I have an easier time if I go straight through. I really appreciate your help, but stepping in during the lesson kind of messes up my style. Do you mind terribly if I have you work with small groups, and I'll ask you for help with the whole class if I need it?" She seemed surprised, but not offended, and we worked fine together after that. Some people have that always-in-control personality, and just don't realize it's bothering anyone when they step in. I tend to believe that most people mean well, and will stop doing whatever is bothering you if you nicely bring it to their attention.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Companion

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomistrout View Post
I'm not aware of any credentialing program which trains participants to be self-centered and rude. Doesn't matter what position this person occupies - aide, teacher, principal, Pope - little good comes from disrespecting others. She is essentially disciplining you in front of the class. A person who views herself as a professional would avoid doing this. This problem has little to do with teaching or who knows the kids. It's about someone with issues who compensates by trying to act powerful and controlling.
When I read your comment I hadn't realized that that what I was implying when you quoted me-- which when I read my post again, it does read like that. What I was meaning was, if she felt the need to teach so much, then maybe think about becoming a teacher? It was a respect and boundaries issue, I can tell she is at heart kind and well meaning.

update: The problem has seemed to have resolved itself, thank goodness. I won't go into details of how, but it's all worked out now, and the problem is no longer occurring, and roles and boundaries are now established. So for now, dilemma and problem solved.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Companion

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellatheSub View Post
Most subs are competent and certified teachers with a vast amount of classroom experience to offer. Also, they are the ones that will be blamed if the teacher's lesson plans aren't executed properly. Most substitutes have a love for learning and education and that's why they are there, because they want to educate children, not just to collect a paycheck.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Habitué

Rocklin, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali*teacher View Post
... It was a respect and boundaries issue, I can tell she is at heart kind and well meaning. ...
I'm quite certain her aim is not to make life miserable for subs. It's mostly about training which aides rarely receive. Anyway, good to hear things are better.