A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
I would do it if you get benefits. Our paras don't make much money, but they get insurance which is the huge benefit over subs. I have a para working in my classroom right now who is in the process of getting her education degree (2nd career). I'd be surprised if she doesn't get a teaching position with us once she has her degree.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Sped para jobs carry a lot of weight..but take it only if you can afford the pay and no benefits.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Comrade

New York
4th Grade Teacher
Thank you to all who gave their input...it is truly appreciated.

I think if the para job would be full time, I would have jumped a little quicker in the hopes that it turns into a teaching position down the road. Now knowing that it is a part time job, I am even more hesitant. The sub teacher daily rate is more than the para daily rate and I would hate to take the para job and have to give up days subbing (possible maternity leaves) since some schools are figuring out hiring needs for next year. Basically, I am not hopeful of a full time job coming up before Sept (fingers crossed for even then, too) and I am just trying to do what may give me the best shot at something full time. I wanted to weigh my options before getting back to the principal tomorrow morning.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
I currently work as a para for an afterschool program. So, in my case, it's even harder to make connections since I don't see many important people. Luckily, my principal appreciates me and even took it upon her to get me an interview for a part time teaching resource job. I didn't get it, they already knew who they wanted to hire, but she did it because she wanted my name to get out.

The pay isn't great and it's part time, but I actually like working part time. Hubby has great benefits from his work, so it's not an issue. I just wish the pay was a bit more. Thus, I tutor on the side.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Comrade

Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine24 View Post
Thank you to all who gave their input...it is truly appreciated.

I think if the para job would be full time, I would have jumped a little quicker in the hopes that it turns into a teaching position down the road. Now knowing that it is a part time job, I am even more hesitant. The sub teacher daily rate is more than the para daily rate and I would hate to take the para job and have to give up days subbing (possible maternity leaves) since some schools are figuring out hiring needs for next year. Basically, I am not hopeful of a full time job coming up before Sept (fingers crossed for even then, too) and I am just trying to do what may give me the best shot at something full time. I wanted to weigh my options before getting back to the principal tomorrow morning.
Sunshine, where are you? I'm on Long Island and I was in the same boat. I have my MS in Elementary Education (1-6), got my extension in Early Childhood the semester after, and finished up with my Students with Disabilities certification this summer. I know how hard it is in parts of NY right now.

I subbed all of last year, but then one district offered me a full time para job for the last two months of the school year. I didn't get benefits, but I was with the same class every day for the rest of the school year.

At the end of this summer I decided to look for TA jobs instead of subbing. I work full time, and I have benefits. The salary isn't really a livable one, but if you can do it, I recommend it. Even though I'm uncertain of any future opportunities, many districts around me do tend to offer leave replacements to their TAs.

The district I was in last year often gave their leave replacements to TAs in the building. The principal and administration know you, since you're in the building every day. While I don't have a leave this year (and wasn't aggressively pursuing one, since I am going back to grad school full time for Literacy), there are still opportunities to gain more experience in the building. I'm on the Literacy committee for the upcoming Literacy Night, I am pulled to substitute in other classes when necessary, I am a substitute for the integrated play group after school, and I get to sit in on professional development days when there are subs available to cover me.

If you can afford to do it in the future, I say go for it. I love my class and my students, and I adore the teacher I work with. As a Para/TA, you get practice working with other adults in a classroom, which happens more and more frequently today. There's plenty of opportunity for collaboration (depending on the teacher you work with), and I find working with the same students every day more fulfilling than subbing (but that's a personal preference).

I'd only go for it if it was a full time position with benefits, though. If it was part time, I'd continue subbing.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Comrade

I worked as a TA for 2 years in a different district before getting a teaching position. I think the experience definitely helped.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Groupie

California
I would definitely take the para job but try after one or two years to get back into teaching. it can help you build contacts and get experience. I am doing this now and hope it pays off.

Tags
job, para