A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I like the idea of passing out the cards throughout the week! I'm sure your admin wouldn't go for it though, but mine would.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Comrade

Elementary Teacher
Yes, I do make my students bring them for all students if they wish to bring them at all.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Comrade

Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfall View Post
That's the point- we're not allowed to have a "party" with treats or games or anything... really it's just that they don't want to give up test prep time with our state testing being so close.
This is actually far more disturbing than the issue you raised.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Yes, I have them bring a Valentine for everyone. In 20+ years in grades 2-5 I have never had a student complain about this policy.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
The principal uses excuses such as "Valentine's day makes some people sad"

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. It is the ONLY moment of the year where I see all the children 100% happy. It is the only moment that all students give items to all children, and all students get a gift (a Valentine) from everyone. There might be a day when they are in their 20s where they feel sad about Valentine's Day, but it sure isn't when they are in 3rd grade.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Connoisseur

2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfall View Post
Not putting names is an idea...maybe I"ll run that one by the other teachers. As for the timing, I just figured I'd tell them to go pass theirs out and they can't go back to their seat/start looking at the ones they got until they're finished. I don't think it would take too long then. The 10 minutes is not my choice either. On Halloween they were going into classrooms at the end of the day making sure people were doing regular lessons and not "celebrating" in any way, so I'm sure they'll be doing that again. I'm kind of surprised the kids are even allowed to bring cards.
Just to let you know, it usually always took my kids about 15-20 minutes to pass out Valentines (and no one went back to their desks to look at what they were getting). It just always seems to take them forever to find each person's desk!

Tags
bring, kids, require, valentine