A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Newcomer

Indiana
8th Grade Teacher
Writer's Workshop in Middle School

I am a second year teacher who teaches writing and grammar. I started using Writer's Workshop this year, and I AND the kids absolutely love it. I have students who refused to do anything last year working on and excited about writing.

My struggle is managing conferences. I feel like I spend too long with each student and then it takes forever to get through the whole class. I'm trying to set goals and hold them accountable for what they need individually, but I don't feel like I'm managing my time well. In a 55 minute period, I am only getting to 3-5 students. I'd love to know how you run your conferences in writer's workshop at the middle school level.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Companion

California
Middle School English teacher
I'm not familiar with Writer's Workshop, but I know that when I was teaching 9th grade I tried to do conferences and I was having the same problem as you. Maybe you could have the kids come to you with a list of 2-3 questions (only the most important) if that's where you're losing time? I'm not really sure.

Is there a seminar you can go to for this? It sounds like a great professional development opportunity.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
What are you focusing on during the conferences?

Maybe have a checklist made up where you only focus on a few key areas per conference. Or maybe you can have the students conference with a partner before coming to meet with you and tie in what Furthuron suggested with the list of 2-3 questions.

Tags
conferencing, middle, school, workshop, writer, writer's workshop, writing