A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Novice

NE, USA
High School Teacher
I'm a young teacher who can't get a job. Is something wrong?

I know I ask these type of things a lot, but really is something wrong with me since i'm young but can't get a job. I know a lot of it has to do with my endorsement area (social sciences), but I had people tell me that since I was young and didn't have a masters, i'd get a job because they'd pay me less.

However, there are other issues. I've mentioned my tough student teaching experiences. Could it be possible my Ct's are sabotaging my job chances? Could it also be that I don't have enough job experience. I don't have lot of jobs that relate to teaching. I've volunteered a lot and was active in college, but I heard its good for teachers to do things like be college tutors, or work as a summer camp counselor or a life guard or something related to teaching. I didn't. I worked in a trailer parts plant most summers because I made more money, and couldn't find jobs that related to teaching.

So whats up. I'm almost to the point I just want to quit. Maybe I should. I love my subject area, and do like some things about the kids, but I struggled with discipline and relating to them. Anyway, why can't I find a job.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Multitudinous

1. Social Studies has always been a saturated field and is even more saturated today.

2. Are you looking for a job in New England? That's a pretty tough market, from what posters here seem to say.

3. Your CTs may be sabotaging you.

4. It could be that you don't have enough experience. Summer camp is all well and good, but it's not actual teaching experience.

Are you able to broaden the geographic scope of your job search?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Comrade

New York
4th Grade Teacher
I am a young job seeker as well. I am not sure of the teaching job market where you live, but where I am (in NYC) it is downright impossible to land a job. I have been searching for 2 years, since I graduated college. I did go to graduate school, in the meantime, to get my Master's in Special Ed and I still have not been able to secure a job since graduating in May.

It does get discouraging...believe me I have thought about quitting the education field too, but we really need to stick it out if this is where we want to launch our careers. I am not sure that your coop. teachers are sabotaging you. Do you have them listed as your professional references? If so, consider using other professionals that you have crossed paths with. I have 2 of my coop. teachers on my reference list but I do not have the 1 that I clashed with. As far as I know, references are not allowed to bash you. They can only say yes they witnessed your work in the time period that you claimed to work with them (that is what I was told in college anyway). Good luck with your search
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Novice

NE, USA
High School Teacher
Actually, I am in the Midwest in Nebraska. The market is saturated, but there are jobs. Usually though its only when someone retires, and usually they are the Football or B-ball coach, and since I don't have much experience (especially in sports) i don't get those jobs.

I've tried other areas as well, but the only state i've gotten interviews besides Nebraska is Iowa (in fact most of my interviews have been in Iowa) and one in Kansas (over skype, which is a terrible way to interview, especially in the internet connection isn't that great) I know it is tough but I just wonder whether i'm no good. I hear all the time on this board how young teachers get the nod over older teachers. Maybe its that way on the coast, but out here, they want experience, at least in my field. It also doesn't help that a lot of small towns are really cliquey and lets just say i'm kind of an interovert and a bit nervous when I interview, and I wonder if I don't fit in out here that much.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
Sounds like to me there is a combination of things ...

Saturated job market
Nervous interviewer
Difficult student teaching experience

Unfortunately, not a combination for job success.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
Yes, but not everyone has a student teaching experience that is sunshine and rainbows, why should that prevent him or anyone else?

I think it's more the fact that it's hard to get a job anywhere in the teaching field right now.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
I think it might be the combo of a saturated job market (in which the subject is normally paired with coaching positions) and the lack of experience. Keep at it and something will open up for you!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcaligirl1985 View Post
Yes, but not everyone has a student teaching experience that is sunshine and rainbows, why should that prevent him or anyone else?
The thing to keep in mind is that many people DO have a positive student teaching experience. If a school is choosing between a candidate who had a successful student teaching experience and one who had an unsuccessful experience, I bet that they will most likely choose the one who was more successful.

I'm not saying that a person can't overcome a bad student teaching experience. I'm just saying that it's naive to think that it won't matter. It does matter, especially when that student teaching experience is a candidate's ONLY teaching experience.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Actually, I am in the Midwest in Nebraska. The market is saturated, but there are jobs. Usually though its only when someone retires, and usually they are the Football or B-ball coach, and since I don't have much experience (especially in sports) i don't get those jobs.

I've tried other areas as well, but the only state i've gotten interviews besides Nebraska is Iowa (in fact most of my interviews have been in Iowa) and one in Kansas (over skype, which is a terrible way to interview, especially in the internet connection isn't that great) I know it is tough but I just wonder whether i'm no good. I hear all the time on this board how young teachers get the nod over older teachers. Maybe its that way on the coast, but out here, they want experience, at least in my field. It also doesn't help that a lot of small towns are really cliquey and lets just say i'm kind of an interovert and a bit nervous when I interview, and I wonder if I don't fit in out here that much.
Ah, gotcha. I misread your location.

In any case, you've got to get yourself set up for success. What are you doing to avoid showing your nerves in an interview?

Are you avoiding applying for small-town and rural jobs because you're afraid of not fitting in? If so, I think you're putting the cart before the horse there. There are plenty of small towns and rural locations that will welcome you with open arms. Don't dismiss your most viable options for something that may not even be an issue.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Novice

NE, USA
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post

Ah, gotcha. I misread your location.

In any case, you've got to get yourself set up for success. What are you doing to avoid showing your nerves in an interview?

Are you avoiding applying for small-town and rural jobs because you're afraid of not fitting in? If so, I think you're putting the cart before the horse there. There are plenty of small towns and rural locations that will welcome you with open arms. Don't dismiss your most viable options for something that may not even be an issue.
Oh no, I apply for any job that's open. Its just that I worry about these things. To be honest, I don't do that bad in interviews, but I just feel nervous, and of course as a result no job has come. I'm hopeful something will open up. It just seems impossible. I don't want to bag groceries or flip burgers the rest of my life

Tags
job, teacher, wrong, young