A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Novice

bumping up grades?/

This is my second year teaching. Seniors especially, but not only ask me to bump their quarter/semester grades at the end of semester/quarter. They think it is so normal and that I am unfair if I don't. It sounds like a lot of teachers bump their grades, if they are close(less than 1/10 of a point let's say) to the next letter grade. The administration totally supports this. They already have in place a grading system, where we cannot give a student less than 50on a test(not quiz) and less than 60 for the quarter. Is this something common in other schools? This is the only school I ever taught at.
Thanks

Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

Ohio
Middle/High School English
I don't bump up grades because they can do extra work throughout the quarter to improve their grades.

If I didn't offer that then I would consider it.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Multitudinous

I think it's fairly common to bump grades that are within half a percent of the next letter grade. For example, if a kid earned 89.5% in my class, I will go ahead and give her an A. I rarely bump grades beyond that circumstance, but it has been known to happen.

If you already have extra points built in to your overall grade, then I don't think you should do too much bumping. Minimum Fs, lots of make-up and redo opportunities, extra credit....If you have any of those in place, then the overall grade is probably already somewhat inflated. Don't inflate it more.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Enthusiast

SoCal
High School English Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
I think it's fairly common to bump grades that are within half a percent of the next letter grade. For example, if a kid earned 89.5% in my class, I will go ahead and give her an A. I rarely bump grades beyond that circumstance, but it has been known to happen.
This is my policy as well. There are no opportunities for extra credit in my class, so I'm willing to round up at .5%.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Habitué

California
High school biology
I also round if the student is within .5%, but only on the semester grades, not the progress reports.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Habitué

Illinois
High School Social Studies
I round up within the .5 (sometimes a tad beyond that), but only based on the kid's effort over the course of a semester. If a kid is on the borderline but has been seriously trying, and merely struggles... I will usually round up to the A-, B-, or whatever. However, if a kid has a dozen zeros and suddenly asks me to round a 59% up, then I won't do it. It's all a matter of effort on the part of the kid, in my mind.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Before my school switched to a weighted four-point system, I always rounded up for students who showed an effort. Now my system is letters instead of numbers, but I may round a high B+ manually to an A-. It's such a small difference, but it means the world to a student who has put in the effort.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Habitué

New England
Social Studies Director, 6-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post

If you already have extra points built in to your overall grade, then I don't think you should do too much bumping. Minimum Fs, lots of make-up and redo opportunities, extra credit....If you have any of those in place, then the overall grade is probably already somewhat inflated. Don't inflate it more.

My thoughts exactly!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
I agree- I always round up.
The only time I will bump more than 0.5% is if they are still close (less than 1%), participate, try their best, and that one grade will keep them off of A/B honor roll. I will bump their C to a B.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Comrade

6th Grade Math
I always round up for grades 0.5% or higher. It has never occurred to me to do it any other way. I guess I think of the final grade in terms of a whole number, so I just automatically round it up.

I will occasionally bump up a grade as much as a point if the student has put in effort and their grade is borderline.

Tags
bumping, grades or