A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Novice

Student Teacher
Remembering Names

Any helpful ways to remember your students names very quickly? I am starting my student teaching in January and am wondering if there's any special "teacher ways" that help to remember students names

Old 12-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Phenom

Midwest
I would say their names when I saw them and greeted them in the mornings. You'll catch on quicker than you think because you'll start associate their characteristics with them.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Novice

Maryland
4th Grade Teacher
My school has an open house the week before classes begin in August. I always wear a big name tag and extend my hand in greeting to each child who enters, saying, "I'm Mrs._____. And you are?" After they say their name, I reply, "Pleased to meet you, ____." During the exchange I make sure to maintain eye contact. It helps to match a face with a name. I just pray that I remember them all on the first day!

Can you ask your cooperating teacher to have students put name tags on their desks?
Old 12-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
I made flashcards with their pictures the first day of school. A little creepy, but it worked for me!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
1. I take pictures of all of them and then label them with their names. I then practice as I think it is important to know their names. I then use their name as much as possible in class the first few days.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
It can take some time to happen naturally as well. If you have a seating chart, but always looking at the names + associate the face with them will help. But that could take a few weeks, which is normal.
In 3 weeks I have learned about 65-70 names. I've had about 85 students or so, and just by looking at their faces and names, after a while it just clicked. Today, seeing all the kids of our school together (about 120 of them) I recognized 90 of my students. (they're not really my students, I'm subbing). And what made it worse is that they look so similar, they all wear the same exact clothes every single day, same color t shirt, it all blends in.

You can use certain techniques, like saying their names out loud, study it, but it still needs time to sink in. Naturally it would take about 2-3 weeks, or maybe more for some people.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Companion

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
At meet the teacher, I always have my kids hold a sign with their name on it and I take their picture. Then I go home and study. You'd be surprised how little time it actually takes.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
Our attendance system is online and has pictures with the class list. I "studied" names/faces before school started. In situations where I didn't have that available, I try to use their name as much as possible to sort of drill it in to my head. When they're sitting at desks with nametags working on something and I'd be just ciruclating around, I'd look at the nametag/face and kind of repeat it to myself in my head, if that makes sense.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Habitué

On the first day, I call attendance and I say the student's name while looking at their face. Then, I repeat their name to myself while still looking at them. It has always worked for me. Then again, I think I'm above average in my "name remembering skills".
Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Groupie

Don't know if this will work for you, but it's worked for me every year without fail...of course I do get some of the kids mixed up on occasion lol...I tell the kids that they have only one name to learn (mine) but I have 20+ names to learn so I need to practice. I tell them that they will say their name and I will repeat it and by the time they have all said their names I will know them all. First child says name and I repeat it. Second child says name and I say name of first and second child. Third child says name and I say names of first, second, and third child, etc. By the time we're done I've said the names of all the kids SEVERAL times. While I'm saying the names I'm trying to think of something that will help me remember them, like if one has the same name as a relative of mine or if one looks like something to do with their name, etc.

Tags
names, remembering