A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Habitué

Iowa
K-4 At Risk
Smartboard questions

I'm going to admit something that may be shocking...I don't enjoy my Smartboard! Here are my questions:

How can I learn to love it?
Where do you get your lessons from?
What do you feel are the pros and cons?

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful that I have one. I know there are plenty of teachers out there that have little or no technology. That was us these last few years. But, I'd actually prefer not having one at all. I've noticed so many of my colleagues changing from hands on lessons to just using the Smartboard. It's not the same!! I don't like the endless amount of time I spend searching for quality lessons for my Smartboard or trying to create them, when I already have perfectly good lessons that I've used in years past.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Groupie

Wisconsin
Primary Elementary Teacher
Maybe you need to not focus solely on lessons. Use it to highlight what you already do. Here are some non-lesson things I use my smartboard for...

In reading this week, I use it to highlight text. Compound words, quations marks, etc.

In social studies/science, I use it to show graphs, nonfiction, photos, etc.

We were also coloring cardinals and used it to show google images.

The kids used it for a fancy way to practice spelling words.

I used clip art of a reindeer and we played 'pin the nose on Rudolph.'

Perfectly formed shapes in math.

Math expressions also has a DVD with the workbook pages on it. I love this addition so the kids can see my example. Plus I can print the examples to take home to help with homework or for the absent child.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Habitué

Head of School
It can take a great deal of time to create lessons from scratch, which, when I first got my board, was a stumbling block. I found that I could find a format that I liked and change the content while keeping the basic elements the same. It gave me quicker content and taught me a great deal about how the board worked and what the software could do.

SMARTBoard Exchange has a great deal of lessons and SMARTBoard Revolution is a great place to ask questions.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
I was going to suggest SmartBoard Exchange as well - thanks for the tip about SmartBoard Revolution, GoldenPoppy! I'll check it out! I adore my board - it keeps me and my ADD self on track almost all day! The kids love it, and it addresses almost all learning styles. If you use Harcourt Storytown, you can go to http://www.pcboe.net/les/elderweb/kindergarten.htm and there are a number of teacher made things available for free. You can also visit teacherspayteachers.com, and there are lessons available for free and for $$.

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss
Old 12-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
I will admit it doesn't replace hands-on-lessons. I do think a SMARTBOARD can be overused.

There are some great "simple" uses for it, and some great more complex things I use it for. Let me keep this post focused on the more simple and basic things.

I really like to use it for:
1. It is awesome for an overhead projector. I have it hooked to my computer where my lessons are.
2. I find it is great to show videos such as khan-academy or other learning short videos on youtube. Sometimes the videos show students how to do some of the hands-on Science lessons that we do. This really helps.

3. I video-tape myself teach. It is amazing how students want to watch me more when I videotape myself then when I speak live.

4. I use it for learning games such as quia.com and other learning games online.

Hope this gives you a start.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I use mine for all the things that need to be reviewed. There is a random word chooser that I adore right now. I put in all the letters of the alphabet and then can click a button and have a random order of letters for the students to practice.

I use the dice, random word chooser, and something else to review sight words.

I have a few games that are played in the everyday math series that I keep in a file so that I can review them often.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Companion

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
As reading rules said, you don't have to use it only with SmartBoard lessons. One of my favorite things to do with mine is play the online interactive games that are free all the internet. No planning required, and it is hands-on, it's just hands on the smart board instead of manipulatives or paper.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Companion

I do e-books on my Smartboard. Instead of holding on to a little book in front of a small group or hoping students are following along at their seats, I just project the book (I get my ebooks from Storia, scholastic.com/storia) and teach like I always did, but with better tools to underline/highlight text, make notes of what the class says, etc.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Habitué

VA
Technology Teacher
All of our K teachers use it as a center in their reading and math rotations. Our new principal really wants the students to be doing Istation (a reading program) pretty much whenever there is time, so the teachers don't have the computers available for some of the literacy games they used to use. Using the white board as a center makes gives that back to them.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
I have a Promethean, but I don't ever make actual lessons for it. It mostly just replaces all the other technology. Like I can use it as a whiteboard, projector, and overhead all at once.

I use it mostly for graphics, videos, shared reading, and sometimes games. I guess I should get trained on how to use it better. But at least I'm using it all the time. My P got really mad cause he caught some teachers just hanging charts on it.

Tags
questions, smartboard