A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Rookie

SC, USA
Kinder ASL w. BGC of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
Does Matt NEED to know ASL?
No he does not, none of them "need" to know really.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKayy View Post
We try to make a game of everything! One game we do almost everyday (kids love it). I will put them in groups of 3 - 5. I will then sign a letter for one team member to find on the alphabet rug, after which they will all make the letter on the rug using there bodies. Not sure if you've ever seen that game done? Where a teacher calls out the letter and the kids go spell it using their bodies. It's fun!

Anyways EVERYONE get a turn to find a different letter on the mat before the group part. When it's Matt's turn, his team members will even help him. It's the sane problem at the colors. Ill call out R and be will find A...
Sounds fun! So, one idea is to let kids find letters in pairs - that way Matt would have help. Another idea would be to only do 10-20 kids a day in terms of finding letters, and not call on Matt unless he wanted to take a turn. (If he's fine with not getting things right, there's nothing really wrong with him trying and not succeeding. If you think it upsets him, it may be a better idea to not set him up for failure.) Still another way would be to let him know his letter in advance and practice it with him - even letting him go to the mat and find it in person (all this would be done before you started your activity). I'm sure others reading may have some other thoughts too?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
No he does not, none of them "need" to know really.
Did his parents sign him up for ASL or is it just part of the program the kids are in?
Do you happen to know if he is color blind or has any learning issues in his dominant language? Could it be that by the afternoon he's just really tired?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Rookie

SC, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
Did his parents sign him up for ASL or is it just part of the program the kids are in?
Do you happen to know if he is color blind or has any learning issues in his dominant language? Could it be that by the afternoon he's just really tired?
All of the children's parents have signed them up to be apart of the program. I do believe he has learning issues with during school hours as his teacher tutors him 3 days a week. I'm thinking this might be the issue but I'm not exactly sure how to handle it problem because he is the only person having an issue, understandable so, but seeing as the other children understand I'm not sure if I should keep slowing down...or...?

Just at a crossroads. We are on winter break until the 3rd so I have two weeks to somehow come up with a plan, although the first week we get back will be nothing but ASL review.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Rookie

SC, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdEd View Post
Sounds fun! So, one idea is to let kids find letters in pairs - that way Matt would have help. Another idea would be to only do 10-20 kids a day in terms of finding letters, and not call on Matt unless he wanted to take a turn. (If he's fine with not getting things right, there's nothing really wrong with him trying and not succeeding. If you think it upsets him, it may be a better idea to not set him up for failure.) Still another way would be to let him know his letter in advance and practice it with him - even letting him go to the mat and find it in person (all this would be done before you started your activity). I'm sure others reading may have some other thoughts too?
Thank you for your reply!!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 AM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Thank you for your reply!!
For sure! Your kids are lucky to have you!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Cohort

Could you ask him words he would like to know? Perhaps if he were more connected to what you were doing (and you were certain it was information to which he already had a connection) and enjoyed a little success in ASL he might be able to make gains in the other areas of your instruction?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Novice

Pennsylvania
Substitute Teacher
I was thinking that color-blindedness might be an issue for Matt or perhaps general visual acuity.

That said, if he is already receiving tutoring from his teacher 3Xs per week at the K level, then potentially there could be other issues that present roadblocks to learning for this young man.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
Can you give him a visual that sets him up for success? When you ask him to find a color, can you show the color as a visual so he can match? If he doesn't know his colors, he needs to match them. If he still can't do it, is he color blind?

Tags
handle