A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-6 Sped Resource Teacher
What to do with missing work/vacation for report cards

One of my students is apparently on a several week vacation to visit family in Mexico which involved missing 2 1/2 weeks of school. She/her parents didn't inform me about the trip before she left. Our attendance person in the office finally got a hold of them after she'd already missed a week and found out about the trip. She won't be back until Christmas break is over. Report cards are due on Friday. Obviously, there's no way for her to make anything up before then. Would you give her an "incomplete" on all the tests she missed, or just exempt her from all of them? She's about a C average student. We give A, B, C, and N (needs improvement). The missing assignments would definitely bump her down to an "N." If all of the work from that 2 1/2 weeks is not factored into her grades, she'll still be in the C range.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Guru

Man.

It's unfortunate because it will be difficult to makeup that much work (without having been present for the lessons) and stay on top of new work in January, especially as a C student.

Since I graded based on standards, I could not give her a grade for a standard she didn't master or attempt mastery for... Guess I'd keep them open/blank for if she has time to tackle those at some point.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
Incomplete, as the student still needs to master the content
Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-6 Sped Resource Teacher
We only have one grade for each subject- so I can't give her what she earned on some standards and an incomplete on others. It would either be a C overall or an "N" (which basically means an F) overall.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Guru

These situations suck. It's not her fault she missed, but the grade for the quarter won't accurately reflect her mastery of the standards covered if given a "pass" on the missed grades...only level of mastery of the standards she did. Well, I guess that happens all the time with transfer students. I guess I'd give her a grade for what she did but then get some materials together to at least introduce her to the missed content.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Habitué

California
High school biology
Give her the N. The parents should have signed her out before they left, which would mean that you send work with her and excuse her from the classroom work she misses. (At least, that's how it's done here in CA, where we frequently have students leaving for a week or two in Mexico.) This can't be the first time the family has done this, and they should know the procedures and consequences by now.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 AM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
Our district policy is any vacation days over 5 is unexcused and students cannot get credit for the work. It is recommended that they withdraw, and then re-enroll. Not saying I agree with this, but it is policy.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Devotee

2nd Grade Teacher
I would give her the grades that she earned while she was in school. On the report card in the comments I would make a notation that grades were based on the time she was present in school. Complete grades could not be given due to a 2 1/2 week vacation absence from school. I had to do this for one of my students. This way I covered myself for anyone wondering why the grades were given.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Novice

Music Teacher
This happens a lot here as well. There's almost always no notice of the absence. Teachers assume they've moved when the don't show up for weeks at a time and are then shocked when they come back next semester.

"Jonny, what are you doing here? We thought you moved. You're not even on my roll."

"Oh, we were in Mexico."

My current school takes these parents to truancy court, so it doesn't happen as often or they're not allowed to re-enroll, but the district I used to sub in had this problem quite often. It was frustrating for everyone on campus to try and navigate the situation. Many were failed due to lack of work or held back due to days missed.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Companion

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
What does your administration say? This sounds like a situation that should be dealt with by a higher-up.

Tags
cards, missing, report, work or vacation