A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Basic Skills Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Rookie

FL
B.A. Elementary Education (Student)
IN TEARS - FTCE Reading & Math Exam **Failed**

Good afternoon to all,

First I'd like to say that I feel glad to become part of this community as I didn't know such forum existed.
I've been in tears for a couple of days now after failing the FTCE exam for the third time. I did not pass the Reading nor the Math section. When I took the FTCE exam for first time, I manage to pass the Essay and Language Arts portion of the test. I was devastated for not completing all portions but had hope for the retake. After failing the 2nd and 3rd time, I've lost myself completely . I have been feeling heavily depressed and worthless. My University does not allow me to continue taking the final five core courses for my degree and therefore the loans I've taken out are due since its technically been "6" months that I've been away from school. I currently own the Cliff notes 2011 FTCE General Knowledge book but it has not been very useful for the Reading and Math sections of the exam. I simply do not know on how to cope with this situation anymore

I am kindly asking for advice from all who've made it over the FTCE exams and are able to share stories, tools, guides etc... that helped. Thank you once again and happy holidays to everyone.

Also feel free to PM me as well.

Kailey

Old 12-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Comrade

Idaho
1st Grade Teacher
Kailey, I am not sure how helpful I can be since I don't have any experience with the FTCE exam. The tests I was required to take were different, but I would assume similar in that they covered content areas such as math, reading and writing. And then later on I had to take tests on educational theory.

I actually hired a tutor to help me prepare for my basic content area tests. The woman I worked with was a teacher and taught the test prep class at my university. I worked with her twice a week for the entire two months prior to the tests.

It helped me pass. Or at least, it helped me identify my weal spots and focus on them in a structured environment. The test prep books are good (for the most part), but if you're struggling already they won't be able to help you much. My advice would be to find a qualified tutor that is familiar with the FTCE.

My university established a policy about 2 years into my program that any Ed. student who failed any of the gateway assessments three times had to meet with an adviser and put together a plan for how they would pass the assessment and move through the program. Maybe your university has some similar policy? It wouldn't hurt to ask, right? Contact the department adviser and discuss your options. Maybe you can be reinstated, based on presenting a plan of action?

Good luck!
Sheilah
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Newcomer

Kailey,

Ugh I know your pain, but I am having the same problem with the praxis II. I might be moving to Fl and have been looking up test prep. Not sure where you are living but university of central fl has test prep not sure if you want to look into that. Good Luck!!!

Dressagelady

I wish my university had so,e kind of advisor to come up with a plan to pass the teaching exams.

Gina
Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Comrade

Idaho
1st Grade Teacher
Oh, the advisers don't come up with the plan for you. They sign off on the plan you come up with yourself. Or they give you general advice. For instance, if you were having a problem passing one of the "Math For Teachers" classes or you couldn't pass the state mandated literacy exams, they would recommend what remedial work you could do in order to better prepare yourself to pass.

I have always maintained that someone could make a financial killing by offering a personalized service to Ed. majors who needed help navigating these exams!
Sheilah

Tags
exam, failed, ftce, math, reading, tears