A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 12-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
I would not have had a conversation about the tragedy with elementary students. By having this conversation, you may have taught some students about the situation. I know that many of my students had no knowledge of what transpired, so if I had a whole class conversation, myself and the other children would have been teaching them.
I think the school majorly messed up by having the moment of silence. It was pretty much an open invitation for students to bring the incident up. It's just not appropriate for elementary students. A moment of silence would be ok for high schools students, and maybe middle school students, but definitely not elementary.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Comrade

Somewhere in the South
Reading Intervention/MTA Instructor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPigeon View Post
It was pretty much an open invitation for students to bring the incident up.
And they did...I was a bit caught off guard by how much some of them knew.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Second grade is an awfully young age to be taught that there are fears so big and horrible that the grownups can't handle you talking about them... but then, it's always been that way, hasn't it?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
My six years olds were talking about it on Monday...I just listened and promised them that I would try very hard to keep them safe. I did not encourage the conversation and I tried to get their attention on other things. One little boy who reads on a 4th grade level had read the article on yahoo. He had shared with his classmates details that really they shouldn't have known--before school in the hallway while waiting for school to start. I believe it is important as an adult that I listen and try to calm them. I don't ignore their questions---I have taught through several of scary situations for kids. I taught thirty miles from the Murray bombing. Several of our students lost parents and one lost a sibling in the bombing. My husband's teaching partner worked for the FBI and was stationed in OKC. I kept their 4 year old son for two weeks following the bombing because she was on site. He wanted to talk about the bombing and about the people that were hurt...I just listened and kept reassuring him that his mother was safe and she would be home soon. It was important for him to talk.

I think sometimes we don't give kids enough credit. They need to know that their fears are real and we are listening to them. I don't think we need to lead the conversation, but we shouldn't shy from it. Things that adults won't talk about are scary and forbidden.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Cohort

We were told to redirect any conversations about the shooting to the fact that we are doing everything possible to ensure their safety. We were also warned not to disclose any information about the shooting.

Your school opened this kind of conversation up when they had a moment of silence for the event.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Guru

I know of a few elementary schools around here that had school-wide prayer for the victims.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Cohort

Midwest
Music Teacher
It is so wrong of a parent to go to someone else and complain about something that happened in your room. I have parents all the time that decide to do this over very petty things! I even had a parent who had a daughter that was having trouble hearing in my class. Instead of contacting me, she went to the nurse and complained that I was soft spoken. I honestly don't understand why parents don't come to the teacher that they have a question with unless they're just wanting to whine to someone about you.

As far as the topic, if the school was observing the moment of silence, this obviously was going to happen. I also think that kids are going to talk about this even if the teacher isn't going to bring it up. If I was a parent, you better believe I would tell my kid about it and talk with them about how important it is to follow directions. The fact that kids have to practice lockdowns is pathetic but in this day and age, we have to. I think this parent needs to get off your back!

If I was approached by the administration about it, I would just state that I tried to be honest and answer questions. If there were students who contributed too much information you really can't help that.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Comrade

Somewhere in the South
Reading Intervention/MTA Instructor
On the flip side of this, I had one of my homeroom parent's approach me after school today about some safety concerns she had related to the school. This led to the conversation of the shooting and she mentioned she was glad I had talked about it to the class. She said that she hadn't had a chance to talk with her child and when she asked her daughter if we had talked about it in school on Monday her daughter said we had and told her what we discussed.

She also said that her child didn't seem to fazed by what had happened - she was more concerned with someone trying to kill Justin Beiber
Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Cohort

Midwest
Music Teacher
I think it comes down to the fact that this was out of your control. Parents honestly expect teachers to make everything peachy for their kids and it can't be done. I remember being in high school when 911 happened. I was scared to death and felt horrible for those people. While I certainly wouldn't turn on the TV for young children to watch the details of this, I think as Americans, they should know what happened. We can't protect kids from every negative thing that happens and sometimes we owe it to them to talk about it with them. I don't get why a parent wouldn't talk about it with their kids. I would want my kid to know what to do if something did happen. I would also somewhat expect my child to hear something about it either from a teacher or another student and would make sure to have talked about it first.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Devotee

The Deep South
Special Education Teacher
My school is pre k through 8. We had a moment of silence. My 6th graders wanted to talk about all the prayer services being held at local churches. In the town I live in a prayer vigil was held outside the schools. I live in a very religious community so it would be impossible for all my students not to know what's going on. We also discussed staying safe. We now keep our individual doors locked. I think the Op handled the questions well.

Tags
complaint, parent