A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Multiple Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Rookie

Is the CSET transferable to a state that requires PRAXIS II?

Hi guys, I'm new here and I'm interested in pursuing a teaching career, and I want to get started in a teaching preparation program soon but I'm undecided as to which state I want to settle in. I currently live in California with the CSET but may be moving to New Jersey in the next year or two, where the TPP requires Praxis II...

Anyone know if it's possible to transfer the CSET to a state that uses Praxis, or in lieu of it, if I wanted to continue in another state? How about NY? Is it reciprocal?

Any info would help. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavman View Post
Hi guys, I'm new here and I'm interested in pursuing a teaching career, and I want to get started in a teaching preparation program soon but I'm undecided as to which state I want to settle in. I currently live in California with the CSET but may be moving to New Jersey in the next year or two, where the TPP requires Praxis II...

Anyone know if it's possible to transfer the CSET to a state that uses Praxis, or in lieu of it, if I wanted to continue in another state? How about NY? Is it reciprocal?

Any info would help. Thanks.
Mavman, I don't believe there are states that simply grant a full license on the strength of a California credential, but it's often the case that a state will grant a provisional license that allows the California credential holder to teach for one to three years while working through the new state's paperwork and teacher license exams. It's also pretty consistently the case that California's exams tend to be among the more challenging.

One note of caution: States that issue this provisional license tend to issue it to holders of FULL teaching licenses. California starts one off, on completion of the credential program with student teaching and the TPAs, with a preliminary credential; the state won't issue the clear credential till you've gotten hired by a district and completed one to two years of BTSA.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Rookie

Thanks groupie. Appreciate the info, you seem to have a good handle on how these things work

Tags
cset, praxis, requires, state, transferable