A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Subjects > Art Teachers

Old 11-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Newcomer

OH
Art Teacher
Big Smile Art Teachers: What did you get your master's degree in and where?

Hello Art Teachers out there,

I just got my 1st public school job, but this is my 4th year teaching. Our levy just passed, my job is safe for now!!!

I want to get my masters to try to secure my job and hopefully make me more marketable as well for my district if for some reason a future levy didn't pass. At this point, I am the newest art teacher to my district, so even though I will be working toward a master in order to obtain tenure, if they had to let people go I would still be first because I was the newest art teacher in the district.

Anyways,

What does everyone think would make an art teacher most desirable to keep? What do you have master's degrees in and where did you get them? Have they helped you if you got laid off?

I don't really understand what curriculum instruction degrees accomplish, but I have heard a lot of people have gotten them...

Just wondering what your thoughts are....

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Companion

NJ
Art Teacher
I don't know the right answer for you but I will try to help. My undergrad was not in education but in Fine Arts my minor is computer graphics. My masters was in Art Education. So my situation was a little different and I do not think my Masters helps me at all, I think it's actually hurting me (I don't have a full time position yet). Since you already have a position teaching its a good idea to keep current and work towards a higher degree. People I went to school with who had their Art education degree mostly got their masters in "Studio Art". That degree is where you focus mostly on artwork and creating art, not so much education... its like the opposite of what I did.

I eventually would like to get my supervisor of curriculum and instruction certificate and I think that allows you to be a supervisor of art (there is only 1 in every district around here)... I don't know if it would help you keep your job though if it came down to the wire and they were laying off.

My advice is to look at schools in your area that offer Masters degree and look at the description of the degrees offered and what best meets your needs. Also, if a art teacher in your district has a masters maybe find out the school they went too.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Rookie

Georgia
Art Teacher
My Master's was in Elementary Ed from University of Phoenix. At the time, it satisfied the requirements for adding K-5 elementary ed to my certificate.

Like you, I was concerned about budget cut backs and I knew Elementary Ed was a field in which there is often openings...

Adam
Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Comrade

Michigan
Art Teacher - K-5
I'm curious about this too. I plan on pursuing a Ph.D in art education - so I want to pick the right graduate school and program. It just doesn't seem like the right program is anywhere near me, so I worry about ruining my chances in the future.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Novice

NY
High School Teacher
Hi!
I went to Teacher's College at Columbia University, and got my Master's in Art Ed. As un undergrad, I majored in Studio Art. I think that TC was AMAZING--I felt very prepared for teaching and it changed me for the better as an artist as well. I learned so much there. So personally and in the classroom, I feel it was a great choice. As for getting a job, I bet it got my foot in the door when they saw the school on my resume, but I doubt that it would help to keep a job. Most districts have to lay off the last hired, regardless of where they were schooled. However, if you are a highly effective teacher, a district might look for other ways to reduce the budget to avoid losing you, imo.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Groupie

Arizona
K-8 Art Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared View Post
Hello Art Teachers out there,

I just got my 1st public school job, but this is my 4th year teaching. Our levy just passed, my job is safe for now!!!

I want to get my masters to try to secure my job and hopefully make me more marketable as well for my district if for some reason a future levy didn't pass. At this point, I am the newest art teacher to my district, so even though I will be working toward a master in order to obtain tenure, if they had to let people go I would still be first because I was the newest art teacher in the district.

Anyways,

What does everyone think would make an art teacher most desirable to keep? What do you have master's degrees in and where did you get them? Have they helped you if you got laid off?

I don't really understand what curriculum instruction degrees accomplish, but I have heard a lot of people have gotten them...

Just wondering what your thoughts are....

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Hi...and congrats on your job! I think it's never a bad idea to get a Master's degree, as long as it's something you really desire to do and feel ready to take on. Some teachers tell me that if you have an advanced degree you are LESS desirable because then districts HAVE to pay you more. With that "logic" in mind I think it's best to try and get a Master's degree in a field you are interested in, which can boost your salary as a teacher, and possibly give you other career options down the road. I was just recently accepted into an online M.A. in Modern Art History, Theory, and Criticism program with Azusa Pacific University. I have my B.A. in Art Ed from many years ago. I'm thinking the M.A. in Art History could give me options to work in a college as a teacher, be an museum educator, etc. I wanted to get one in studio art but the online option honestly works better for me at this point in my career.
Anyhow, that's my advice...maybe consider a degree that can give you other options besides just teaching in public schools. Hope this helps!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Rookie

pa
Student: MA in Art Education
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbart View Post
I don't know the right answer for you but I will try to help. My undergrad was not in education but in Fine Arts my minor is computer graphics. My masters was in Art Education. So my situation was a little different and I do not think my Masters helps me at all, I think it's actually hurting me (I don't have a full time position yet). Since you already have a position teaching its a good idea to keep current and work towards a higher degree. People I went to school with who had their Art education degree mostly got their masters in "Studio Art". That degree is where you focus mostly on artwork and creating art, not so much education... its like the opposite of what I did.

I eventually would like to get my supervisor of curriculum and instruction certificate and I think that allows you to be a supervisor of art (there is only 1 in every district around here)... I don't know if it would help you keep your job though if it came down to the wire and they were laying off.

My advice is to look at schools in your area that offer Masters degree and look at the description of the degrees offered and what best meets your needs. Also, if a art teacher in your district has a masters maybe find out the school they went too.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
I'm doing the same thing. My undergraduate degree is a BFA with a major in metals and jewelry and I am now completing my MA in Art Education. I enjoy the field I am working in now and am not currently teaching but am hoping that when I do decide to try and get a teaching job it will help to make up for lack of experience.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Newcomer

Florida
online M.A. in Modern Art History, Theory, and Criticism program with Azusa Pacific U

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasimi77 View Post
I was just recently accepted into an online M.A. in Modern Art History, Theory, and Criticism program with Azusa Pacific University. I have my B.A. in Art Ed from many years ago. I'm thinking the M.A. in Art History could give me options to work in a college as a teacher, be an museum educator, etc. I wanted to get one in studio art but the online option honestly works better for me at this point in my career.
Nasimi77, congrats on your acceptance to the program at APU. I'm interested in applying myself. How do you like the classes so far? Is online learning difficult for you? Is APU's affiliation as a Christian university a significant presence in your courses and discussions?
Sorry, if this post is misplaced, but I came across the mention of the APU degree on this forum via google and I am very eager to know more!

Thank you in advance!
Old 08-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Comrade

Michigan
Art Teacher - K-5
I ended up deciding on a MAT Reading and Language Arts
My thesis project is aligned with Ph.D programs so I can pursue that in the future.

Tags
art, art teachers, degree, job security, master, masters programs, teachers, tenure