A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Comrade

New York
Kindergarten Teacher
Getting constantly sick while teaching kids! Advice needed :)

Hello. So as a substitute teacher and a student teacher, I learned that being a teacher can have its ups and downs, and one downside is that I get sick ALOT! Within the last month, I got sick three times (right now I'm sick as we speak). I know, tis the season :/ How do you fight off sickness when you're teaching possibly to children who get easily sick? Especially ones that admire you and keep hugging you?

I plan to be full-time by September, I need to know the tools of the trade!!! Sofar all I can think of is stocking up on Airborne and hand sanitizer.

Thanks guys!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Multitudinous

I am currently super sick, so take my advice with a proverbial grain of salt.

I used to get sinus infections and pharyngitis all the time. I haven't gotten those things in the last three or so years (until now), and I think it's because I started doing the following:

Take a multivitamin every day. Make sure it has a good amount of B, C, and D. Airborne is good, but it's expensive. I find that a multivitamin does the same for a lot less money.

Wash hands frequently. Remember, you should scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds (long enough to sing the ABCs), and you should dry them with a paper towel BEFORE turning off the water--use the paper towel to handle the faucet.

Use hand sanitizer the correct way. The hand sanitizer should stay wet on your hands for at least 20 seconds, as long as it would take you to wash your hands. You need to let it air dry. Remember that hand sanitizer doesn't kill everything, even if you left it on for minutes or hours. The most common thing that it doesn't kill is the norovirus, which is responsible for a lot of illness in schools. Real soap and water is best whenever possible.

Don't let students touch or use your supplies. Ever. Keep an area for student supplies and stock it with a stapler, tape, extra pens and pencils, kleenex, etc. Don't ever let them touch your stuff.

Take off your shoes and change your clothes as soon as you get home from school. I immediately change into my PJs when I get home.

And the number one thing....Get a neti pot! Whenever you feel like something might be coming on, use that neti pot with some saline. The saline packs I use have aloe and echinacea, so they're very soothing. I use my neti pot up to twice per day when I feel some sniffling coming on, and that neti pot almost always manages to keep it at bay. If it seems especially bad, I also take some ibuprofen.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
The first couple of years are the roughest. Frequently wash your hands, have your own box of kleenex & your own garbage can that the kids can't use.

Get plenty of sleep & when you do start to feel run down, slow down & take care of yourself.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Comrade

New York
Kindergarten Teacher
Thanks guys! Unfortunately I am a sub right now and it's pretty tough. If I had my own desk, life would be a lot easier.

I get the store-brand airborne, which is cheaper.

Haha, kids touching my stuff…boy do I have an issue with that. Thinking it's okay to up and go to the teacher's desk to steal stuff.

What about if I'm at a school where not every single classroom has a sink? Thankfully, most schools I subbed for all had sinks in each classroom.

I'll definitely take everyone's advice. Desperate at the moment for answers from experienced teachers. Thank you
Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Comrade

New York
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpa1b2 View Post
Get plenty of sleep & when you do start to feel run down, slow down & take care of yourself.
When I got home, I got into my PJs, had soup, airborne, tea, orange juice, soup again, another airborne (after 4 hours), and debating whether to have tea or orange juice again. Also been constantly washing my hands since I also have a runny nose and a cough/minor sore throat. Am I doing a good job since I'm run down?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Novice

Have you always worked in the same school? When I worked at one school, I was always fighting colds and sinus infections. I wouldn't even say I was always sick, because it just became part of life. My classroom was a portable and had leaks in the roof; therefore, it was mold city. I'm convinced it was the reason I always felt awful.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Comrade

New York
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT2012 View Post
Have you always worked in the same school? When I worked at one school, I was always fighting colds and sinus infections. I wouldn't even say I was always sick, because it just became part of life. My classroom was a portable and had leaks in the roof; therefore, it was mold city. I'm convinced it was the reason I always felt awful.
I'm a sub, I work in different schools. But I do work at the school that nominated me a lot of times. And having mold in your classroom…that's gross. I'd freak out if that were me and would start looking for another job. Sorry you had to deal with that
Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Habitué

US
I think some years the bugs that go around are harsher than other years. When I first started teaching, I missed several days in a row a few different times over the winter because the colds hit me so hard. The last couple of years it hasn't been too bad. This year I got another really bad chest cold.

Agree about the neti pot. It's gross, but effective. I also sleep with a humidifier on when I'm congested. Wash your hands, but don't abuse the sanitizer. I'd only use it if soap and water are not an option. Eat right, don't drink too much and get exercise to keep your immunity up.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Companion

I eat whole foods, sleep for eight hours each night, and take an organic supplement to strengthen my immune system. If I do feel a cold coming on, I immediately begin taking Cold Eeze.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen84 View Post
sleep for eight hours each night
This is the most difficult thing for me to do! I need to start making it a priority.

Tags
advice, constantly, kids, needed, sick, teaching