A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Rookie

Early Childhood Teacher
No Longer Like Director

Hello! I am a three year old teacher at a good preschool. I love working with children and have been in the education field for quite some time. My issue really is not the children, it is the preschool director. She is a preschool director and she also teaches in a classroom that is near mine. The classroom are set up so that anyone can see what is going on at any time. There are only a few teachers at this preschool. I feel like she is always watching me. In fact, I feel this way because it is true. lol I feel like she may gossip about me with the other staff and/or one particular parent.

One day she tried to talk "at me" by telling one of the students her shoes had been untied all day. She said it loud enough to where I could hear it. I cant stand when people do that by the way. If you have a problem come directly to me. That was a lie because I consistently tied up her shoes but the way the little girl moves her feet under her desk caused them to continue to untie, plus being outside and having fun; however I continued to tie them back up. Anyway it is petty things like that, that get to me. I could name a lot of petty things but I won't go there because I don't want people to figure out its me. lol

The cook and the director I feel like are gossipers. I really do not care for people like that at all. The cook is the nosiest person I believe that I have ever met.

Anyway, I feel like I have been accustomed to my privacy because I stopped teaching within a school system a few years back and had my own tutoring service. It felt good having my own. I am starting to think that it may be time for me to start doing my own thing again. I love teaching but I do not like the feeling that I get at the school. The children and parents adore me; except for the one that gossips with the director.

Do you have any tips on how I can feel better about an environment like this? Maybe I need to pray a little harder.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Guru

I wouldn't worry too much about the gossip, but I know that's easier said than done. I started a new school this year and a teacher was sharing something negative about me with her grade level that was entirely fabricated...as in 100% made up in her small mind without so much a tiny bit of truth from which to build. I was none too pleased and such stupidity wasn't something I was accustomed to in my previous school. Anyway, unless there is something specific you feel you need to address, just try to be your nice self and ignore that garbage.

The issue of being "talked at", certainly address those comments which are inaccurate. In this case, you could have just piped in with a laugh and a comment about trying them all day.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Rookie

Early Childhood Teacher
Preschool

Thanks Justme! Your story helped me.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
I have found myself in conflict with many directors. The only time I was really happy was when I taught at a college lab school or I was the director.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Rookie

Early Childhood Teacher
Yea Blu, I think it may be time for me to have my own business or be the director.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
I loved having my own business! Give it some serious thought.....
Old 12-18-2012, 01:34 AM
Rookie

Early Childhood Teacher
Thanks WaProvider
Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Comrade

Mississippi
Pre-K teacher
I have been both director and teacher. I am currently teaching and enjoy it much more than the pressures of being director. As I look back on my time as director, I remember times when I certainly could have been more professional. It sounds like your director is being very unprofessional. Are you evaluated at any point? At my school, we are evaluated in May. The director sits with us one on one and discusses our strengths and weaknesses. This would be a great time to voice your concerns. However, if you are seriously thining of leaving, I would do it sooner. Also, just continue to do your job and be the best teacher you can be for the little ones who love you!

Tags
director, longer