A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Aficionado

Texas
Third Grade Teacher
I am very organized but the custodians only vacuum twice a week so the floor might be nasty, depending on what day you come. The kids sweep up spilled pencil sharpeners, etc., but that only does so much.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTeacherGuy View Post
If anyone walked into my classroom, they'd think it was extremely neat and organized--nothing's out of place and it smells nice, too...

...Just don't peek inside my cabinets! Disaster area!
That's where my real obession lurks...my cabinets at home and school are very organized! I can't do it in our new home just because of a difference in cabinets, but I once had all my kitchen cabinets labeled on the inside.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
That's where my real obession lurks...my cabinets at home and school are very organized! I can't do it in our new home just because of a difference in cabinets, but I once had all my kitchen cabinets labeled on the inside.
Oh man...SOON! This apartment wont know what hit it by the end of Christmas Break. I'm coming back 3 days early to wreak havoc on the havoc. Cabinets are #3 right after dishes and laundry.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Companion

Nevada
2nd Grade Teacher
My room is pretty neat and organized. There are a few piles here and there of papers waiting to be organized, but I try to keep the piles to a minimum. The closet on the other hand is a nightmare! It drives me crazy, and I keep wanting to take everything out and completely overhaul it, but have never had the time. This is my 4th year in the room, and there are still things up on the top shelve and in the corners that the previous teacher left behind, and I've never even looked into. Its such a mess, it's hard to get to what I need sometimes. It's the one area that is a nightmare, but since I'm the only one who sees it, it's the last priority.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Habitué

Idaho
If you walk in, it's clean.

If you walk in and keep looking around, it looks a little cluttered.

If you walk in and keep looking while opening up cupboards and closet doors, then you duck for cover.

Reason? I've spent less time in my classroom this school year than I have in my 4 years. I work my contract time and grade at home. I work on inputting grades on work day and plan on planning day. I went in on three weekends total this school year to make sure a few things were ready for subs or whatever needed to be done for special things out of the ordinary.

So basically, my rooms a mess, but my family's happy and my students are learning. We're good that way.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
As a sub I've seen plenty of classrooms, in all grades. For the most part they were pretty clean and organized. Some really neat, others just neat enough. some teachers have a clean room, with a bunch of papers in one pile, so it's only one little area that's messy. That's what I've done when I had my classroom. Then when I had time I would go through it.

The classroom I'm in now is pretty unorganized. I already cleared off all kinds of papers, clip boards and not needed stuff and put them in one pile. I did it in a way that I can put everything back at the end (this upcoming Friday). I am going to clean up the rest of the room, including dusting, because it bugs me. Already put up some student work, (posters), the teacher encouraged me. I love this teacher, she basically gave me the greenlight in doing whatever I want I think I'm gonna go put up some student work from these past 2 weeks.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
I would say that my room is neat but not super organized. I don't have labels. I figure students know what pencils and folders are and I certainly know what my supplies are. No need to label them. I just cleaned up my "teacher bookshelf" the other day while my students were taking a longer test. I try to keep it clutter free, but that can be a bad thing too because sometimes I'm too quick to throw things away or worry that I may need them for some sort of documentation in the future. A couple of times I have thrown away a paper that I later realized I still needed. So you won't see stacks of papers for me, but that's because I'm always throwing stuff away! Just this week I realized I threw away our report card instructions, thinking that now that it's 2nd quarter I know how to do report cards. When I went in to start on them, I realized that paper had all the number codes for comments we're required to put. Oops. We have "data goals" in math and reading and are required to progress monitor weekly. One of my teammates saves every test from every kid for both data goals for years after the kids leave the room.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Connoisseur

CA.
1st Grade Teacher
My room is definitely not super tidy. It is organized and labeled fairly well. I have a spot to pile my paper and I have a simple filing system which works well. Almost everywhere except one corner is accessible to the children and for the children to use. This tends to make it get messy easily. Some years the kids are great at cleaning and some years they are not so great. My biggest problem is noticing the little messes and making sure the children clean it up before we move to the next thing. I am still working on keeping track of that.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Freakishly organized

I would seriously notice if someone moved something over to the left a few inches. It's funny, though, because it isn't a lot of work to keep in clean. I spend about 5-10 minutes at the end of the day straightening things, and it's good to go!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Companion

California
2nd Grade Teacher
in between...my room gets messier and messier as the day progresses as I am teaching but I do NOT leave for the day until everything is put back in its place and everything is ready for the next day...I cannot stand too much clutter...

Tags
room, tidy