A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Habitué

Ohio/Kentucky
High School Teacher
Seating Arrangment in HS

I am not a traditional seats in a straight row kind of teacher and neither are 90% of my students.

I do a decent amount of group work.

What seating arrangements work for your high school classroom?

I've done many variations, I like the grouping of seats-saves time with group work, however, some people aren't facing the front, tests (enough said), and ..perhaps because its almost Christmas Break, it is causing them to talk a lot more when they should be listening.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Multitudinous

My seats are in traditional rows because my classroom is very small and there really is no other option. In the past, I've put the desks into groups of 4 or 5 and that worked well.

If students are getting too chatty, reverting to rows, even temporarily, will probably help solve that.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Habitué

Ohio/Kentucky
High School Teacher
Oh I don't have a huge problem with chatting, the grouped desks were working great, I think a lot of it is the excitement for break.

I change the desks a lot of times because quite frankly, I get bored easy with the same things all the time-desks happen to be one of them. Go figure.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Multitudinous

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you said that you were looking for suggestions about seating arrangements because your students were chatting too much when they should be listening. That's why I suggested a temporary change-up to rows.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Habitué

New England
Social Studies Director, 6-12
I have the desks facing each other. There are 9 desks on one side of the room, and 16 on the opposite side. It's obviously not 50/50, but it works well for my purposes! I used traditional rows for several years, but I don't think I would ever go back to that configuration again. This way allows me to get to every student, and to circulate around the classroom, so much more easily.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Companion

Iowa
Social Work Student
If I had teachers, or even when I was in a classroom helping teachers, who did a lot of group work they would use circles. Depending on the amount of students in the group. If it was an entire class- 1 big circle, a few students in each 2-3 circles, etc.

Tags
arrangment, seating