A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
What's your goal in taking 0049?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Newcomer

All:
Thanks for the information! I am taking subtests II, III, IV this Saturday and have used these study guides (supplemented with my own). I have passed Subtest I with ++++, but failed III with a 207 score. I have a few specific questions regarding Subtest III:

Both sections of the constructed response returned the comments s,d (support and depth/breadth of understanding). I quoted the original writings extensively in my responses, so I don't understand the lack of support mentioned. Also, my feeling is that the best way to show the depth of my understanding would be to use more of the literary terms (hyperbole, satire, tone, metaphor, etc.) Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, diablosub. What's your background in English?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Newcomer

I don't know where my response got to...there was a message that it would be reviewed before posting?

Anyway, my power supply died in my computer which has hampered my preparations somewhat.

I took a few college courses in English, 28 years ago. I have subbed for the last 5 years in all subjects, passed the CSET in PE and the CTEL in the last two years. I am a stickler on grammar mechanics and believe that I will do relatively well on Subtest 2. I have some theater and public speaking experience. I think that my biggest problem on Subtest 3 is that I hate to analyze literature--I just like to read good stories!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Sounds promising, diablosub. Those technical terms - hyperbole, personification, and the terminology of grammar and composition - are in fact the tools of the trade of literary and nonliterary analysis.

Go back to the sample questions and answers: see what, in terms of phrasing and coverage, separates the strong answers from the less strong ones.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Newcomer

Substitute Teacher
I'm one of the unlucky ones that passed the first three sections but not the fourth. I put a lot of pressure on myself to do well since taking the CSET means flying from Europe to do so. So I just got another plane ticket and registered for the January exam. Thankfully I have this testing session left before I need to pass for my program. I got four check marks for section IV and a total score of 193. I did not get any marks for areas that needed to be improved specifically. It's hard to remember exactly what I wrote so therefore hard to know what I might have missed in answering my questions. Basically all I've seen is to stay on topic, use the correct point of view, use terms related to the field and to use examples from the text as support. I think I did this. Maybe I didn't but either way I didn't do it well enough. Is there anything else big picture wise that I'm missing?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Newcomer

CA
CSET ENGLISH PREP HELP

Hi All,
I have found this forum very helpful so far, and I am happy I have came across it. I have some more questions about passing this test still. I am taking all four subtests in a month and I have to pass all of them at once in order to enter into the credential program at my school of choice this fall. I am a liberal studies major with an english concentration. I just recently converted to pursing an english credential recently due to my love of literature. I have taken some courses, those being:
English writing composition course
Linguistics
American Literature
Childrens Literature
Women Writers
And a poetry class that focused on Romantacism and Victorianism works.
I am still in much need of study materials to make sure I cover all of the material on the tests. I have downloaded Elmers notes and will be going over the sample questions and responses on the CSET website. Are there any other study materials I should be aware of such as the Cliff book, Sparknotes ect. I am in need of more study material. Thank you for your help in advance.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Newcomer

California
This thread alone completely demonstrates why I love teachers. Thank you all so much!! Will update on how the studying and test go.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Feel free to ask questions, LALion.

ViennaG, the coursework you've got should be very helpful for Subtests I and III (especially if the composition course delved at all into the pragmatics of writing) and for a good deal of Subtest II.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Newcomer

Indiana
I will be teaching SPED/English
Hello everyone!

I have gone through all 46 pages (whew) and picked up some great advice. I'm taking the Praxis II 0041 on 3/14. Haven't had an English class in 11 years and haven't had a Lit. class since high school. (breathing) Yes, I'm overwhelmed and wondering if this is all too much!! I'm most challenged in the Lit. department as well as Rhetoric. I'm ready to devote 2 hours on the weekdays and 8 hours Saturday and Sunday.

Now I just need a strategy ....suggestions?

Tags
elmer, english, resources