A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMonkey View Post
Well, they might "rip you apart"; but then again they might not. I have not taught high school so I am not an expert on high school students' behavior.

What I have noticed is sometimes the more authoritarian teachers may have a very hard time with students because the students might start to fight back or try and push the teacher's buttons. I have noticed very free flow teachers who work well with the children. I have also seen the opposite and everything in between. It has a lot to do with the children believing you respect and value them as well as being clear and consistent in your behavior expectations. It also has to do with your ability not to take things personally when someone is trying to annoy and frustrate you. If you give no boundaries you will have problems. There are many ways to build the boundaries with and for the children in a way which supports your need for control.
At my school, the very strict dictator-style teachers seem to have a much harder time with discipline than I do. I think my personality is close to the way you described yourself, and I can get my students to do any and everything I want this semester!! This is my first semester, and I only teach a half-year class, so I'll get new kids in January...maybe it will be different then. But the thing with me is that I joke around A LOT and try to make school a fun experience for the kids (7th grade), however, they know darn well when I'm not joking and when its time to get to work. I also coach, so I kind of thing that helped me with setting a discipline tone because I hold my athletes to a very high standard compared to the rest of the student body, and I have most of my athletes in my class.

I think its great to relate to them as much as you can, they will look to you as a role model. If you can show them how to be a responsible 21 year old, thats great. They will want to be like you

Old 12-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
I don't have a maternal bone in my body. I'm also reserved and usually serious. Many people who knew me from my youth are surprised that I am a teacher because I don't have the outward personality for it.

Age and appearance don't mean much either. I started my career teaching 18-20 year olds when I was 22. I did not look much different than they did. I dressed appropriate for work without forgetting that I was still 22. I wore make up and jewelry. I wore my hair in whatever style I wanted. Never any confusion about my position in the school.

On the other hand, I have worked with people who are my age or older who have lots of trouble maintaining their classroom management for various reasons.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 2 Other Jobs
I wouldn't be worried. There's tons of successful teachers & they obviously all have different types of personalities since no one's cut from the same mold. When you actually start the job, you'll find your niche and little tips, tricks, etc. to be successful.

By the way, I wouldn't say I'm maternal. My favorite kinds of kids are the ones who sit, listen, & do their work. I don't like the yakity-yaks, million questions, etc. types. But, that's the types I like probably because I was like that myself when I was a child.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Companion

Special Education Teacher
As a 5'4" 23 year old who looks like a high schooler (aka getting yelled at by the cafeteria ladies for jumping the line, something teachers are able to do.) I was terrified that the high schoolers would walk all over me. I'm not super strict, but I do have my expectations and make that clear. I do not share my personal life except for random anecdotes about my cat. Every time they want to share something personal with me, I remind them that as a teacher I have to report some things, and I let them know if what they are saying is inappropriate. I make sure my speech and dress reflect a professional educator. I do get respect from my students and they do what I ask for the most part. Students have guessed correctly that I come from an inner city school and grew up in situations similar to their own, which may help in the respect department because I can relate.

It's not perfect, but I think they do see me as a professional teacher, and treat me as such. I wouldn't go back to elementary... I've learned pretty quickly that high school is where I should be.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
I'm normally really spontaneous and casual. I like to make things fun.

That's a great personality for a teacher. :-)
Old 12-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Connoisseur

MA
High School Math Teacher
I was worried about the same thing when I started teaching. I am petite and I look young. I make sure to dress professionally though. I'm also not the most assertive person. I haven't had many classroom management problems, and I think I am both approachable and firm. The longer you teach, you will have a better idea of your teaching style and of what works and what doesn't.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
One needn't be 'maternal', however making a connection with each student helps. Not all kids are going to be your 'model student' and one would hope that professional educators would find ways to connect, reach and teach with all their students..I try to remember that some of my students who might drive others crazy are probably the ones who most need to feel connected, capable and contributing.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Cohort

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I am twelve. Well, technically I'm thirty...but I'm pretty sure I'm twelve.
Sometimes I can give my second graders a run for their money when it comes to silliness.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Cohort

Pa.
7th/8th Grade teacher
I tend to challenge authority and do my own thing, which has gotten me into trouble in the past. I had a terrible temper, but taking yoga classes has made me calmer - but don't yank on the Milsey chain.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
I don't think you should be worried. I think, if you pursue teaching, you'll find that each teacher is different with his/her own personality, techniques, strategies, etc. Your friend is right in that you are not there to be friends with your students. But I don't think you need to worry about not being maternal. That has nothing to do with it.

Tags
personality, teaching, wrong