A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Habitué

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt_Waves View Post
My first year of teaching (last year), I felt compelled to bribe my students like crazy to get them to behave. It really was not right or fair by any means, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I realize this is not a good classroom management technique in the long-term, but it worked for me at that school for a year. I was lucky in that I got to bribe students with food (my prinicipal outright told me to do whatever I had to do in that respect). I also bribed them with movies, and prizes I would buy out of my own money. I tried to make all the prizes related to the subject matter. I teach French, so I bribed students with French food, French books, French pencils, etc. That being said, these were elementary school students so they were more easily bought.
I don't consider rewarding good behavior "bribing". We get all sorts of rewards for the work we do....money being the main one. When you do what is expected of you and you're a positive role model, you get your reward. I'm not advocating giving students candy for simply sitting in class and breathing, but I don't feel guilty for throwing out a tootsie roll or two to some exemplary students in a class of goofballs.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I think if your bribes are content related, like in your case everything French in a French class, it's not really a bribe but a reward which is ok.
Bribing such as giving them food / candy, excessive free time, or things that go against school policy are wrong and would not have positive effects.
But doing math games as a reward instead of math problems after another (as long as it's teaching the same content) is not a bribe, it's classroom management
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher

Rockguykev
I wish someone at some point had told me that my curriculum design is by far the most important tool I had for classroom management. My students know every day they have a choice. They can behave to my expectations and learn my way or they can behave like children and learn the way the state of California dictates which is by reading a textbook and answering multiple choice questions.

Usually once of following through on my threat and stopping a lesson mid-stream to switch over is enough to stop any future problems. It might be a bit late for you to go this route but a week or two of hardcore drill and kill might help them realize that you have a job requirement to teach them but not a requirement on how to do it.

Good advice. :-)
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb View Post
The SPED teacher who's in my 2 inclusion classes (and finally agreed to teach them one day a week) has advised me to never let them work in groups again because they just waste time. He also advised me to make the assignments so easy that it's impossible to fail, focus on drilling in the standards through rote memorization, and to give them as little freedom as possible because they can't handle it and will just use it to cause trouble. That's not the kind of classroom I wanted, but the kids do respond better to him when he teaches.
My students can't have ANY down time. I know they are quite a bit younger than yours, but it is true for them, too. Last year's class could handle some down time and made productive choices and worked well together. This year's class has different needs, so I have had to change how I approach certain things.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Rookie

Tennessee
High School Teacher
Well, I went in and re-arranged my classroom again yesterday, breaking the students up into small groups of 3-4 and scattering them around the room as best I could. Then I re-wrote my rules again to clarify them and set a consequence policy where they only get 3 strikes for the week. The most disruptive, hot-headed student in that class gave me flack for it, but the rest were ok. In my 2 other classes, the students blew up and said they couldn't possibly comply with such a harsh policy and it started a lot of arguing, but I just kept plowing through with a bunch of yelling.

I got observed today. The kids were pretty well behaved in there. I still don't know how I scored, but I anticipate it was poorly. This was not the lesson I'd originally planned to teach for my observation (that was a week ago, when he called in sick and told me "just do that lesson next week" on 5 minutes notice--it wouldn't work out of sequence, anyway).

The only thing the AP would tell me was that I clearly didn't plan (I've been planning for days and was up until 4:30 revising it yet again, but the students were so lost on one bit of the lesson that I couldn't even get to the last 3/4) and that I clearly didn't care about my job because that was the most boring thing he'd ever seen. He said he knew some ways I could fix it, but when I asked for feedback, all he said was "be more entertaining."

If I still have a job in January, I guess I need to become a master entertainer who makes every lesson something that keeps the kids excited and rolling in the aisles with laughter and glee every minute of every day, all while constantly citing specific state standards and moving them into different groupings at least 3 times. That is what our state says I must do just to be considered "solid," though still not worthy of tenure, along with 4%+ improvement on their test scores and overall growth of 4%+ on the schoolwide scores.

I honestly feel like I made a horrible mistake by going into teaching.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Comrade

Texas
6th grade science
What subject do you teach, and what grade level?

There was a teacher I once worked with who was asked by the students, "Why can't you teach like Mrs. X? She's more fun!" He responded that he was trying to prepare them for college, and that their college professors wouldn't make class all fun and games. I heard a couple of years later that some students said Mrs. X made the class TOO entertaining, with videos, games, and other stuff, and that they COULDN'T learn. I thought that was pretty interesting to hear. Being more entertaining doesn't always work.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Comrade

China
1st Grade ESL
Newb, I genuinely think you need to get away from that school and that administration. With an administration that hostile and overbearing, I doubt things would improve much even if the kids did love you.

Have you ever considered teaching abroad? It'd be a nice break and add a little something interesting to your resume.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Comrade

High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb View Post
The only thing the AP would tell me was that I clearly didn't plan (I've been planning for days and was up until 4:30 revising it yet again, but the students were so lost on one bit of the lesson that I couldn't even get to the last 3/4) and that I clearly didn't care about my job because that was the most boring thing he'd ever seen. He said he knew some ways I could fix it, but when I asked for feedback, all he said was "be more entertaining."

That is what our state says I must do just to be considered "solid," though still not worthy of tenure, along with 4%+ improvement on their test scores and overall growth of 4%+ on the schoolwide scores.

I honestly feel like I made a horrible mistake by going into teaching.

you didn't make a mistake by becoming a teacher. You just were unfortunate in the school you picked to begin your career. You need to get into a better environment.

I believe you are young and may be concerned about your "future" but it doesn't sound like losing that particular job would be a bad thing.

I wouldn't want to work for a person like that. The pay is not worth it.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Newcomer

High School - Computer Science
Newb - I'm new to this forum but not to teaching, so can I jump in? Firstly I agree with all the comments regarding a consistent whole school disciplinary code, it is essential to have both rewards and sanctions clearly laid out for students and staff alike. But there are some things you could reflect on which might help you.

As a trainee teacher mentor, my guess is that your carefully brilliantly crafted lesson plans and resources have all gone South in the face of trying to crack a hard class, which means the lessons have lost momentum before you take the register.

So firstly why is this class hard? Kids hate to fail - don't we all? Commonly the work set is over their heads so they switch off and begin to misbehave. You only need to do it once and the pattern is set.

Go back to basics and give them something to do before they even sit down. Smile, say "Hi Freddy" etc - and hand out a resource to each as they come in the door or have it on their desk - you can come up with something fun and learning based for any subject. Just make sure everyone can do it, can understand it and can achieve success. Have another small but engaging task ready and move them onto it as soon as the register is done. Give time deadlines on the whiteboard - there are literally hundreds on the web you can display - some play themes like Thunderbirds for 3 minutes ....lots of possible option there!

Which leads me to the level of work you are setting. Make it easy, give them something they can achieve and which will keep them busy for five minutes - let them work in pairs one day then alone - mix it up. One of the best techniques to calm and settle a class is getting them to copy something down from a book or whiteboard. Probably the commonest causes of classroom chaos for new teachers is expectations and setting the work at a demanding level before gaining the trust and respect of the kids. Give them achievable tasks which encourage success and let the trust build first - they will be far more willing to follow where you take them.

Experienced teachers know pace is incredibly powerful in getting and keeping momentum - they inject it effortlessly when kids get restless or challenging. The above is a way of injecting pace at the start and allowing you time to get control. But set the lesson work level and resources using the KISS principle for the first few weeks and I promise, the class will begin to respond in a more positive way to you. Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
you didn't make a mistake by becoming a teacher. You just were unfortunate in the school you picked to begin your career. You need to get into a better environment.

I agree with this!

Now what though? I suggest that you do the following which appears to take a lot of guts, but you have nothing to lose and everything to win with this approach.
Do one of the following:

1. E-mail the teachers, and say that you are a first year teacher, and really hope to be the best teacher that you can be. You wonder if any teacher would be willing to give up 10 minutes of their prep time to come and observe you. Ask them if they'd honestly give any feedback of what they notice that could be improved.

OR

2. Find a teacher you get along well with and/or trust that you could ask to come in and observe you.

The feedback you got from the VP is so unhelpful. You need some info that is more specific. Would the academic coach come in and observe you?

I would get the book Tools for Teaching immediately as well.

Good luck to you in your tough situation.

Tags
danger, job, respect, students