A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
My child has already had in several in school suspensions, a two day out of school suspension (neither which meets the 10 days) but also been picked up with the day cut short (well over 10 days, it's only Dec). He has been restrained 11 times with deescalation techniques I find deplorable at best. In fact, I'm certain they well contributed to them. The classroom teacher only asked for help once and that was when he was holding a stress ball and put himself in time out. Somehow it went from that to restraining. He started kicking the cubbies after they cornered him and invaded their space (touching) after making a series of demands and backing him up in a corner. He does have triggers and he does have a history. I feel it is a combination of both regression, lack of support, and badgering. So I do not want to put suspension on the BIP. Do I at least have the right to decline having it added? After all, they can do it if they feel it follows school policy but then I have more rights to due process if I'm not agreeing to it up front. Is this correct?

Right now the regional office has come in to redesign his program and give him a different environment and plan but the principal is insisting on having a punitive plan in action if something does occur.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 AM
Comrade

I do not believe you have the right to decline suspension. I could be wrong. The principal will possible say that the school needs to have punitive plans in place in case he hurts a staff member or other student, or does something else that affects others' safety or the learning environment. If the P doesn't put that plan in place, then the school will be left with no recourse if, as you said, something does occur.

If you feel the staff needs better training or coping techniques, bring that up at the meeting.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 AM
Companion

Texas
9th Grade World Geography
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutNglue View Post
My child has already had in several in school suspensions, a two day out of school suspension (neither which meets the 10 days) but also been picked up with the day cut short (well over 10 days, it's only Dec). He has been restrained 11 times with deescalation techniques I find deplorable at best. In fact, I'm certain they well contributed to them. The classroom teacher only asked for help once and that was when he was holding a stress ball and put himself in time out. Somehow it went from that to restraining. He started kicking the cubbies after they cornered him and invaded their space (touching) after making a series of demands and backing him up in a corner. He does have triggers and he does have a history. I feel it is a combination of both regression, lack of support, and badgering. So I do not want to put suspension on the BIP. Do I at least have the right to decline having it added? After all, they can do it if they feel it follows school policy but then I have more rights to due process if I'm not agreeing to it up front. Is this correct?

Right now the regional office has come in to redesign his program and give him a different environment and plan but the principal is insisting on having a punitive plan in action if something does occur.
The ARD committee can do magical and wonderful things, and as a member of that committee, you have the responsibility to disagree with committee decisions and force them to work things out to your satisfaction. This is your child.
Just spitballing here, but it seems that the teacher is getting a little frustrated and might be restraining as punishment.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:36 AM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
Often it was the administrators where were doing the restraining.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I would ask the staff to document your concerns with suspension and restraint on the additional information section of the IEP or the parental concerns section. You need to make this known, but also know that suspension is allowed and your child can be suspended whether he has an IEP or BIP or not.

I would start keeping a log of all the times you have picked your child up early due to administration requiring this. Then when you notice that the time out of school equals 10 school days, you can bring this up.

Something else to consider...since they are changing his placement, the 10 days may begin anew. I'm not positive on this as it's never happened to a student that I have worked with, but it would be a good question to ask about.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
Mopar, you just gave me what I needed. I have the right to put my objections on the document. I will write the paragraph myself and sign the document when the paragraph has been put on there and a copy has been provided to me first. It will also include a statement about how I feel the staff often contributes to the escalation.

I will also write an alternate paragraph of what I would rather see on the plan of action and give them the choice.

At the same time, I will also start counting.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Companion

Texas
Good for you, cNg!
As a case manager, I can tell you that you're the type of parent that might be a hemorrhoid to me, but any honest teacher would admit that it's a hemorrhoid that's often needed. It's really easy to lose focus when parents aren't there to remind us ... and you might be surprised how few parents aren't there.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
Good for you, cNg!
As a case manager, I can tell you that you're the type of parent that might be a hemorrhoid to me, but any honest teacher would admit that it's a hemorrhoid that's often needed. It's really easy to lose focus when parents aren't there to remind us ... and you might be surprised how few parents aren't there.
Nobody needs hemorrhoids....I think that's not a great analogy.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Companion

Texas
I could have stated it more plainly, but this is a nice forum.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
Quote:

Did you approve of the restraint techniques they are implementing (and are teachers trained in these restraint techniques restraining him)?

A manifestation determination meeting should be held ASAP as the amount of suspensions/time out of school is above 10 days, which entitles you to them making up the time lost due to the suspension, and any further time lost also.

Are the staff members keeping in mind his triggers when confronting him? If not, the triggers should be put in writing somewhere so the teachers are aware of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
I would ask the staff to document your concerns with suspension and restraint on the additional information section of the IEP or the parental concerns section. You need to make this known, but also know that suspension is allowed and your child can be suspended whether he has an IEP or BIP or not.

I would start keeping a log of all the times you have picked your child up early due to administration requiring this. Then when you notice that the time out of school equals 10 school days, you can bring this up.

Something else to consider...since they are changing his placement, the 10 days may begin anew. I'm not positive on this as it's never happened to a student that I have worked with, but it would be a good question to ask about.
I do not believe they change. The counter only resets at the beginning of a new academic year, I believe.

Quote:
Mopar, you just gave me what I needed. I have the right to put my objections on the document. I will write the paragraph myself and sign the document when the paragraph has been put on there and a copy has been provided to me first. It will also include a statement about how I feel the staff often contributes to the escalation.

I will also write an alternate paragraph of what I would rather see on the plan of action and give them the choice.

At the same time, I will also start counting.
You can also sign it and write below it "Signing that I am in attendance, but disagree with x, y, and z. See attached parental concerns."

If you disagree with anything they propose and prefer what is currently on the IEP, you can also file for DP as it sounds like the school may not be providing FAPE or LRE, which would enact stay-put.

Tags
determination, laws, manifest, sped, suspension