A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
If this ends up becoming a reality, it's going to create huge changes throughout our district. Many of our 6th grade teachers have only taught at middle schools and it'll be a major adjustment to move an elementary site to teach a self-contained class.

As many of you know, I had a year-long stint at the middle school level last year teaching 6th grade language arts/social studies core. I can't imagine having the same group of 6th graders for the entire day. I liked the fact that they were able to have me for two subjects, then transfer to other teachers for math, science, P.E., and electives.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Groupie

Maryland
US History & World History
The middle school I attended was 5-8, but I'm from a small suburb in NJ and my town only had one MS.

I currently teach in a district where all MS are grades 6-8. K-5 is elementary.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Groupie

Maryland
US History & World History
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTeacherGuy View Post
... I can't imagine having the same group of 6th graders for the entire day....
This is my nightmare.

For the past 5 years I have only taught MS. This year I am teaching eight classes (four 6th grade and four 7th grade classes) and there is NO WAY I could survive if I had to teach any of them all day long. No way.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education

I have the same 6th graders all day long! I love them so much.

I don't really know how I feel about the structuring. My school is PreK-8, but we have a separate building for 6-8 due to over-enrollment. 6th lives in their own little wing and doesn't really mix with 7th or 8th. They are definitely more immature than the older kids. I think they would be the same way if we had the building configured K-6.

They still seem like little people to me. The kids don't get scary until 7th!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Guru

I would have to be moved to seventh or eighth as I am not certified to teach self-contained. So the change would suck.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
Middle school is 7-8 here.

It used to be 6-8, but apparently it was way too crowded and there was a lot of harassment of the 6th graders.

The current districting is:
PreK through K - 1 school
1-4 - 3 schools
5-6 - 2 schools
7-8 - 1 school
9-12 - 1 school

It works pretty well from what I hear. When I went, it was:
K-3 - 5 schools
4-5 - 1 school
(then they changed it so that 6th grade was no longer at the middle school, and we had to go back to our elementary school for 6th grade, and made them the current districting)
7-8 - 1 school
9-12 - 1 school
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Novice

Music Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTeacherGuy View Post
If this ends up becoming a reality, it's going to create huge changes throughout our district. Many of our 6th grade teachers have only taught at middle schools and it'll be a major adjustment to move an elementary site to teach a self-contained class.

As many of you know, I had a year-long stint at the middle school level last year teaching 6th grade language arts/social studies core. I can't imagine having the same group of 6th graders for the entire day. I liked the fact that they were able to have me for two subjects, then transfer to other teachers for math, science, P.E., and electives.
So it's definite that you'll teach self contained classes in 6th grade if the move happens? I don't know of anyone around here that has self contained 6th graders. Regardless of which school they happen to be in. I can't think of too many places here that have 5th grade self contained, much less 6th grade.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Groupie

Midwest
Special Education Teacher
Where I am middle school is generally considered 6-8. But, most of the elementary schools where I am still have 6th grade. The middle schools with 6th grade spend quite a bit of their day with the same teacher. This might have changed. I have not been in a middle school since 2004.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Cohort

Adjacent To Your House
HS Senior
When I was in middle school the school consisted of 6-8. Now, as of two years ago the "middle school" consists of only 7 & 8. I believe if you are going to just have 7 & 8 it might as well be called a Junior High School.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
In all the school districts I've been a student at or worked at, only 1 has been 7-8. One elementary school I taught at had 6th grade, but they changed classes for math, reading, and science/SS. I couldn't imagine having the same group of 6th graders all day long.

Tags
6th8th, 7th8th, middle, school