A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Companion

Chemistry
So Frustrated!! (Long)

I got my praxis scores today and once again failed the Chemistry Content Knowledge. I failed by 6 points this time (which is better than the past times) but still failing none the less. The last couple of times I have taken the test I have been good on time, went back to review questions, make sure each question has answers, etc. My game plan for retaking the test is to use the Praxis science study guide, a high school chemistry book, and AP Chemistry for dummies. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Also should I study for the entire test or just certain topics that I scored the lowest in? Is there a study guide that I am missing for this test? I have looked online for study guides basically anything that might help me pass this test. Most things I am finding have horrible reviews or really donít cover the topics in depth.

My other question is about the computer based test. I am considering taking this test on the computer instead of the traditional paper based test. I noticed that the test time allotment is 2.5 hours on the computer as opposed to the 2 hours for the paper test. For anyone who has taken, or has experience with the computer test, do you actually get the extra time for the test or is it added for the process of filling out information. Also, how easy is it to go back to the periodic table or list of constants? I know on the paper test, I can just keep a pencil at that page and just flip easily back as needed with no wasted time.

TIA for the help and listening!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Rookie

I am so sorry - I can only imagine your frustration. I am a chemistry teacher who is hoping to make the switch to a public school - I didn't take the Praxis but I took the Chemistry CSET 121 test. These are my suggestions

1. Read 5 steps to a 5 in AP Chemistry and do each chapter test.
2. Listen to chemistry lectures at khan academy online - he is a good teacher
3. Do more practice problems by googling Adrian Dingle's AP Chemistry quizzes

Hang in there
Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
If the computer-based test is simply the computer-based version of the paper-based test, then the extra half-hour is for a combination of administrative matters (primarily having to do with your identification) and a tutorial on using the test software: it's not actually part of the test, but it is part of the test taker's appointment. I think reference materials such as the periodic table are usually coded into the test software as popup windows, but don't quote me; the Tests at a Glance materials for this test should shed some light on this question.

Make sure you know whether the test either requires or allows you to bring your own calculator.

You might find that AP or college materials serve you better than does a standard high-school textbook.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Companion

Chemistry
Thanks for the input Chemophile. I bought the 5 steps to a 5 in AP Chemistry today and plan in reading through a few chapters tonight. Also thanks for the website suggestion. I checked it out and there is a ton of useful information.

TeacherGroupie- Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at the praxis 5245 test prep and see what it has. I hope the reference pages are pop up windows. I would feel much better about taking the computer version.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Rookie

I know how you feel - I was terrified of the biology portion of the cset 119 exam since it had been so long. I have noticed that there are more resources for studying biology than chemistry. I an not a huge reader so I have found that every book from 5 Steps to a 5 an easy read whether it is Biology, Physics, or Chemistry. I also like ChemTeam. Just google ChemTeam, and you will get a written lecture on many topics, plus worksheets with answer keys
Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Companion

Chemistry
Thanks Chemophile. I will check out Chemteam also. By the way if you have any other suggestions or think of anything or websites that are good reviews let me know. Your suggestions have been great!

I have been working in a biology field for almost 10 years and haven't had a Chemistry course/review since I was in college (which was 10+ years ago). I picked it up pretty quickly after I took the first test, and saw the type of questions they ask. I know I can pass the test, it is just a matter of getting it done. I to, am not huge on reading. I actually prefer to do sample questions and then review what is needed. I am reading the book you recommended though. I am also reviewing the AP Chem for dummies too as I have read it already. The praxis has very few content recall type questions and more applied content questions so the more problems I can work the better, I think, it will serve me on the test.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Rookie

It sounds as if the praxis exam stresses a lot of applications. When I have tutored chemistry, I have often urged my clients to test their chops by tacking the true/false section of the chemistry SAT II exam - I like Kaplan's SAT II chemistry. The true/false questions are really tricky and designed to trip someone up. I haven't taken the Praxis because CA doesn't require it, but what I noticed about the chemistry exam on the cset is that typically two multiple choice answers sound correct, but one answer is considered more correct. I hate that.

Since you have a biology background, can you tell me if the arizona state biology project website is any good? I passed the general biology exam, but I would like to pass the more rigorous biology cset 120 exam in the future so that I am more marketable. Thanks! I am not a huge reader so I prefer a site with a lot of practice problems and brief explanations.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Companion

Chemistry
It does look like a good site. I am sure you already know about this one, but cellsalive.com is a good site for cellular biology. Also this a good site for practice/review. http://www.biologycorner.com/APbiology/index.html
It is an AP site but seemed to cover all the important topics. I also used Homework Helpers:Biology for a review. It has lots of practice questions in each chapter. The only con is that the content seems to be basic knowlege. It is a good refresher non the less though.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Groupie

California
Using Rapid Learning for Chemistry CSET

I am completing the Rapid Learning Course for College Chemistry. It is an online course. You can go to rapidlearning.com to purchase it. You can also download the 5 Steps to Getting a 5 AP Chemistry pdf file. It contains some of the book material from the 2010-2011 edition. You can download it for free. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 AM
Groupie

California
I just got the 2012-2013 5 Steps to a 5 AP Chemistry book. I can hardly wait to use it. I want to take the Chemistry CSET in March.

Tags
frustrated, long