A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Rookie

So Cal
English CSET part 4 - failed twice...

Ugh! Just got scores from November's test. I failed part 4, a second time!! It was the only test I took that day. I dumped terminology like crazy into each of the four short answers. My score was actually worse the second time around. What the heck!
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. On the report I got a check mark in each section except dramatics. I got a p,s for that. The first time I took it I got four checks, and my score was higher (I think).

Anyone else ever been so hung up on this? Any suggestions about what I'm doing wrong or not doing right?

I think each of my answers were on the long side. Would that cause me to not pass? Not so long that I ran out of room on the answer sheet. I really thought I did very well. So frustrated.....

Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
This my not help you much, but this is my experience. The first time I took the English Cset, I took all 4. Passed all, but the 4th one. I didn't really study for that one because it seemed easy in theory, and the other tests really scared me, so I focused on those.
I had no idea about terminology, and just faintly the very basics of everything. Yet, I was only 13 points shy.

I took it again later on, but really couldn't study. I was trying to look up everything online - that's how I studied for the other ones - but couldn't really find anything. I tried to look up things about drama and stage plays, the only things came up were about Shakespeare's plays, not how to act or set up a stage. Same thing about everything.

I took it anyways, didn't know any terminology and still passed. I just read the questions carefully, thought about what they really wanted from me and explained them the best way I could. So pouring terminology into your answers really won't help, I think it's better to make sure you fully answer the questions and address everything.

Also don't stress about it (easier said than done). But a lot of times others post here saying that their second test was worse than the first one; I think they overthink it, stress about it and really miss what the questions are asking.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
A checkmark on a Subtest IV response means that the response satisfied minimum standards in purpose, knowledge, and support in p, k, or s - but acing the response seems to be a different matter.

Are you writing essays or short responses?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Rookie

So Cal
Thank you both for your replies. My responses were more "essay" than short response, as in paragraphs. Is that what I did wrong? Could that be a reason to fail?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I don't think saying too much would be wrong, but it really depends on what you're saying. I think a lot of it has to do with answering questions.

I even passed the Rica and didn't study a whole lot. I did spend time on looking terminology, because for that it is very important, and I knew nothing. But other than that, I didn't really feel prepared. I never took any class in college that would have helped me at all and my linguistics major help a little. But I passed, and I think it was largely because I carefully read each question, and double checked several times that I answered it fully and provided plenty of explanations for everything.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
The Subtest IV responses are supposed to be fairly brief, which means one needs to get to the point quickly, oldteacherlady.

It could be that you need someone to analyze your practice responses.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Connoisseur

California
SPED 9-12
I passed IV the second time by adjusting my tone to 'teacher' instead of answering like a student. Think of how you would teach a class the topic you are writing about. Don't just use every term you can think of. Teach the terms using your responses as the vehicle.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Bear in mind that the scorers are generally teachers in the field or teacher educators; they're looking for evidence that you know the material well enough to be turned loose in a classroom. This includes being able to distinguish, for a given concept, between more-apt and less-apt technical terms, and being able to apply the more-apt terms in a fashion that won't get you convicted of insufficient knowledge by a jury of your peers-to-be.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Newcomer

Ca
I failed subtests lll and lV

I signed up for the next test in Jan. I have about a month to get it right. I have to say I am shocked at my score of 188. I truly thought I nailed it and walked away with my head high. I feel deflated. How can I raise my score next time? Help me !!!!!!!! I am in So CA valencia area. Anyone else here?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Companion

Central CA
How are you guys getting an exact score on your results? I've always gotten either a PASS or NO PASS but never an exact score.

Tags
cset, english, failed, part