A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 11-23-2012, 05:20 PM
CrayolaCrayon CrayolaCrayon is offline
Companion
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 169
New York
I'm glad you posted this because I feel the same way. I think it is completely normal because as substitute teachers, we don't have a set routine that we become used to. Our morning starts waiting for the phone to ring, which on it's own is a stressful way to start a day. Then we wonder what grade we will be assigned, if the teacher left plans, and cross our fingers that class is a good bunch of students.

Are you the kind of person who sets high expectations for yourself? I am, so every day I am in a school I try to walk in as the best version of myself. I treat each day like a job interview. One could argue this is a great attitude to have since I am doing my best to make a good impression, but it's also extremely draining to feel like I have to be "perfect" all day long.

With all that said, I think teaching (even when you have your own classroom!) is exhausting. There is so much to do and you always have to be "on." If a teacher has a bad day, there is no sulking at a desk with a cup of coffee and taking time to check e-mails and have an easy morning. The day must go on! There's a reason why one of my professors said teachers are the best actresses.
Reply With Quote

 
  #12  
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 PM
MissPapa's Avatar
MissPapa MissPapa is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 280
New York
Kindergarten Teacher
I deal with challenges every assignment (for example, I had a problem child today drawing on the carpet…enough said!) But I just don't stress it being that it comes with the territory. I just take a look at the big picture.

I actually crashed today as well lol. But then I got up and made a cup of coffee, got comfortable in PJs, and watched TV. Do things for yourself after you come back home. Just think that the class you taught was only for today...

Subbing isn't so bad. Even if I have stressful students, I walk out happy.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 PM
microbe's Avatar
microbe microbe is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 259
China
1st Grade ESL
I know exactly how you feel.

I just started subbing this year and I'm completely depressed most days. I have trouble sleeping because I'm incredibly anxious about my job in the morning. I started subbing to get my foot in the door, and now I want nothing to do with teaching. It really hurts because I thought for most of my life that I wanted to be a teacher, and all of my previous teaching experiences have been very meaningful to me.

It's the complete lack of empathy the students have towards me that makes me hate this job. I primarily sub in middle and high school classrooms, so I'd hope these kids would be at least a little considerate to other human beings. Additionally, substitute teachers in my district are treated horribly by teachers and administration even though there is a severe substitute teacher shortage.

It's a struggle forcing myself to go to work everyday. Sometimes I think this is how life is supposed to be. My significant other has told me to suck it up (in much kinder words) and that this is what adult life is like. I just wish I could at least be at peace with my life instead of feeling exhausted and down. I literally have nothing to look forward to anymore.

Apologies for the sad rant - I'm just struggling a great deal with these new feelings!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 AM
HeatherY HeatherY is offline
Habitué
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 791
Substitute Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbe View Post
I know exactly how you feel.

I just started subbing this year and I'm completely depressed most days. I have trouble sleeping because I'm incredibly anxious about my job in the morning. I started subbing to get my foot in the door, and now I want nothing to do with teaching. It really hurts because I thought for most of my life that I wanted to be a teacher, and all of my previous teaching experiences have been very meaningful to me.

It's the complete lack of empathy the students have towards me that makes me hate this job. I primarily sub in middle and high school classrooms, so I'd hope these kids would be at least a little considerate to other human beings. Additionally, substitute teachers in my district are treated horribly by teachers and administration even though there is a severe substitute teacher shortage.

It's a struggle forcing myself to go to work everyday. Sometimes I think this is how life is supposed to be. My significant other has told me to suck it up (in much kinder words) and that this is what adult life is like. I just wish I could at least be at peace with my life instead of feeling exhausted and down. I literally have nothing to look forward to anymore.

Apologies for the sad rant - I'm just struggling a great deal with these new feelings!
It does get better. Hugs!

Try to leave everything at the door as soon as you leave. Don't dwell all night on should have's. Just let it go. Tomorrow is a new day. I've found that laughter works well, if not better than being mean. (is it really worth the $100 to get mad and stressed? I don't think so.) If they're testing you, turn the tables. Start making faces at kids or call them silly nicknames- well, older kids only! It'll get the focus off you and onto them. There is a kid I call New Billy (because there is another Billy) and they think it's ridiculous. I also sing with little kids to get their attention. They're not listening, just start singing the Oscar Mayer wiener song. I guarantee they'll stop what they are doing! Don't take it personally and let it go the moment you leave the school.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 AM
microbe's Avatar
microbe microbe is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 259
China
1st Grade ESL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherY View Post
It does get better. Hugs!

Try to leave everything at the door as soon as you leave. Don't dwell all night on should have's. Just let it go. Tomorrow is a new day. I've found that laughter works well, if not better than being mean. (is it really worth the $100 to get mad and stressed? I don't think so.) If they're testing you, turn the tables. Start making faces at kids or call them silly nicknames- well, older kids only! It'll get the focus off you and onto them. There is a kid I call New Billy (because there is another Billy) and they think it's ridiculous. I also sing with little kids to get their attention. They're not listening, just start singing the Oscar Mayer wiener song. I guarantee they'll stop what they are doing! Don't take it personally and let it go the moment you leave the school.
Thank you, that is really good advice. I will definitely try to leave school at school and be more lighthearted in the classroom. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-02-2012, 01:39 PM
jen12 jen12 is offline
Habitué
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 998
US
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenCatIV View Post
Does anyone have any tips for handling the stress of substituting?
I don't know if it hits other people as hard, but every day that I work (even if everything goes pretty smoothly) I come home exhausted, with a headache, and just crash. It's cutting into the number of days I work, because one day of subbing will leave me wiped for at least a full day. I keep hoping it's just because I'm new to this, but...
Help!
Before I went into teaching, I worked in cororate human resources. Now THAT was stress that kept me up at night! Subbing is exhausting, but you walk away at the end of the day and you're finished. AND your day ends early, so the sun is still up. Go for a walk or run or a bike ride when you get home. Get some fresh air and move your body around. By Thursday I'm pretty wiped out, so I tend to have a glass of wine or Bailey's on Thursday night. I try not to drink more than a couple of times a week, but it can definitely be a nice relaxing reward after a week of noisy kids.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM
thesub thesub is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 334
I try to vary my assignments a bit if possible, ie teacher a few days, aide the next

day where I am responsible only for one student and don't have to raise my voice - just like another poster here pointed out. At night, I try to carve out one hour of NetFlix or stupid movie time for me where I am in my cozy corner and this really cheers me up because I have earned every bit of this hour.

thesub

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenCatIV View Post
Does anyone have any tips for handling the stress of substituting?
I don't know if it hits other people as hard, but every day that I work (even if everything goes pretty smoothly) I come home exhausted, with a headache, and just crash. It's cutting into the number of days I work, because one day of subbing will leave me wiped for at least a full day. I keep hoping it's just because I'm new to this, but...
Help!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 PM
PolarBear's Avatar
PolarBear PolarBear is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 33
Portland, Or
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen12 View Post
Before I went into teaching, I worked in cororate human resources. Now THAT was stress that kept me up at night! Subbing is exhausting, but you walk away at the end of the day and you're finished. AND your day ends early, so the sun is still up. Go for a walk or run or a bike ride when you get home. Get some fresh air and move your body around. By Thursday I'm pretty wiped out, so I tend to have a glass of wine or Bailey's on Thursday night. I try not to drink more than a couple of times a week, but it can definitely be a nice relaxing reward after a week of noisy kids.
I'm glad you posted this. 30 yr veteran of the Corporate World here. Teaching, as far as stress goes, isn't even in the same county, much less the same ballpark. Not saying teaching isn't stressful, just that it's a walk in the park compared to where I'm coming from.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
handling, stress

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off










All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 PM.


Copyright © 1997-2010 A to Z Teacher Stuff, L.L.C.  All Rights Reserved.
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.
Questions, comments, and suggestions: Contact Us
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.