A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Student & Preservice Teachers

Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Comrade

Idaho
1st Grade Teacher
I Am Somewhat Embarrassed

I started my last semester of student teaching this past August. I returned to the same elementary school I did my first semester of student teaching (last Spring semester), and had the same mentor teacher I ended Spring semester with.

During my summer off I experienced a health issue that I saw a doctor for and was diagnosed with a minor problem that I was told would have zero impact on any aspect of my life. Because of that I didn't say anything to my cooperating school, my mentor teacher or my university supervisor. It was a non-issue.

Except it wasn't, really. School started for us the last week in August. I noticed a troubling symptom Labor Day weekend and had to ask my mentor teacher to leave an hour early later one day later that week so I could see the doctor. She happily excused me and during the appointment the doctor told me that it wasn't an unsurprising development for the diagnoses, which was a simple pinched nerve in my upper back/lower neck area. He told me to keep living my life and all would be well. I passed on this information to my mentor teacher and all was good.

It didn't stay good. Within a couple of days of that doctor's appointment, I seemed to start stumbling a lot. And that quickly morphed into limping heavily and soon I was having a huge problem walking. I wasn't in any pain, but it looked horrible. I used a state in-service day to get back into the doctor and he ordered an MRI. By that time he was thinking my problems walking were unrelated to the pinched nerve in my neck. The MRI was on my lower back, and it showed nothing.

I kept working. I wasn't always able walk at will, and would sometimes have adjust my lesson plans to accommodate that fact. I was still insisting to everyone that I was okay to finish the semester. Doctor wanted another diagnostic test, but my appointment for that was two weeks out.

Long story short, on October 16th I couldn't lift my left leg off the floor enough to step into my pants. I figured that I was at the point where I needed to know what was wrong and get some help for it. My husband and 13 year old son had already left home for work and school, so I drove myself to the ER where they did an MRI of my whole spine and discovered a "significant" injury to my spinal cord, where a bone spur and compressed disc were pressing into my spinal cord. I was in surgery 4 hours later.

The school and my university were fantastic. Although I had immediate improvements, it was clear I wouldn't be able to return to student teaching this semester. I was only eight weeks away from finishing altogether, so the school offered to hold my spot over for next semester and the university okayed me just finishing up those eight weeks.

I am very grateful for their support. I will be visiting the class I was teaching in for the first time since my sudden surgery this coming week, so I can pick up my belongings and have some closure for the kiddos and myself. I am looking forward to this! I was having a wonderful experience, except for the not being able to walk part, and I have missed these kids a great deal.

I am a little embarrassed though. I am a older than the traditional student teachers, and was already feeling a little vulnerable because of that. Now I feel like I'll be known as the old lady who got sick.

I want to just move on and forget this happened. I feel silly now, looking back on it. I was using my desk chair as a walker! I should have known that something was seriously wrong with me, but I kept insisting that everything was fine!

Is it possible to recover from this kind of drama?
Sheilah

Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Don't fell embarrassed! I'm glad you're ok, and it's also wonderful that your teachers, student teaching school and your program was so accommodating. That's how it should be, but we hear horror stories time to time, so it's nice to hear a positive one.

There is nothing you can do to change the past and what you should have done, it doesn't matter. The way I look at it, there is no drama to recover from, so you shouldn't feel embarrassed at all.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
You have absolutely no reason to feel embarrassed; health problems can impact all of us, no matter what our age.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Comrade

Idaho
1st Grade Teacher
Thanks, guys. I did luck out when I was placed at my cooperating school. This has been a wonderful experience for me, I have learned a lot and my only regret is that there is no chance of being offered a permanent spot on the faculty.

I think once I get there on Wednesday all my nervousness will dissipate and any awkwardness will turn out to be a figment of my imagination.
Sheilah
Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Well just to let you know in the middle of my first semester of student teaching I was in a car accident which left me with two broken legs and a broken arm. After meeting the students briefly I disappeared for the rest of the semester. By the next semester when I was able to go back, I student taught on crutches. Originally with a cast on one leg and a boot on the other. And then just a boot and a shoe. I was student teaching high school so I did get a few crazy comments, but I didn't care. Honestly, I was just glad I was walking!

You'll be fine
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageLady View Post
Thanks, guys. I did luck out when I was placed at my cooperating school. This has been a wonderful experience for me, I have learned a lot and my only regret is that there is no chance of being offered a permanent spot on the faculty.

I think once I get there on Wednesday all my nervousness will dissipate and any awkwardness will turn out to be a figment of my imagination.
Sheilah
Your students are going to be so glad to see you doing well! Don't be embarrassed....I'm so glad you are on the road to recovery and glad for you that your school is being supportive!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Aficionado

New Brunswick, Canada
4th Grade Teacher
Don't be embarassed! I had a similar (though, admittedly less sever) issue a few years back in my mid-20's, where I couldn't walk, and ended being up for several days. Kids are very understanding, and they will be so happy to see you again!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Comrade

Idaho
1st Grade Teacher
You were all correct! Everything was a-okay once I was there. You know what the third graders wanted to know? If I thought they had gotten any taller and if I remembered their names names!

My showing up was a surprise to the students, but my mentor teacher had a little ceremony planned. The kids had made me Get Well cards, which she had mailed to my home when I was first recovering. But the kids had also written me thank you letters, which she had bound into a book. They gifted me with a set of teacher stamps for my very own.

My mentor teacher asked me if I wanted to do one more read aloud with them, which I jumped at. It was a wonderful, wonderful experience. And it reinforced how grateful I am that the surgery was a success and I am able to come back and finish.

I offered to come in next week and help out in the 3rd grade class, and my mentor teacher said she might need to take me up on that offer. I was able to visit with her after the kiddos were dismissed for the day. It was just a very pleasant time.

After I left her class I dropped in and visited with the kindergarten teacher who I'll finish up with when I go back. I was scheduled to transition to her morning and afternoon kinder classes at the end of that week in October, but I never made it to the end of that week. I started out last January with her in kindergarten, and then transitioned to 3rd grade half way through the semester. I enjoyed 3rd grade a great deal, but I really, really loved the kinders.

So it was all good. I feel very lucky right now.
Sheilah

Tags
embarrassed