A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Cohort

Pennsylvania
Honestly, the only thing that really got me depressed about teaching was when one of my kids at the detention center was on suicide watch. Everything else seems like kind of small potatoes compared to twelve year old kids thinking that they have nothing left to live for. You can teach kids how to think critically and you can catch them up on skills, but it's hard to change a student's background and experiences.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciounoi View Post
Honestly, the only thing that really got me depressed about teaching was when one of my kids at the detention center was on suicide watch. Everything else seems like kind of small potatoes compared to twelve year old kids thinking that they have nothing left to live for. You can teach kids how to think critically and you can catch them up on skills, but it's hard to change a student's background and experiences.
So sad. It is really tough to see young children who have been through so much already...Rape incest, depression, suicidal thoughts. I have seen it at the elementary level.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Comrade

95 North
Early Childhood Teacher
All of the politics that goes on in the public school scene, really has me about to lose my mind!! I miss being able to actually TEACH!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 AM
Newcomer

I also love teaching..In this fled we come across with number of different attitude. As some time we have rude, sometime calm, sometime happy, angry, loving, caring too. It really one of the most prestigious job in cooperate sector
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Novice

with this job man......I try to always find the positive....the kid that understood the lesson...the kid that follow every direction for his project and then more....the kid that told the truth and apologized....the laughs we have in the classroom.....those are the things that keep me coming back but your right this job is no walk in the park
Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Groupie

I don't get depressed about anything, but I AM extremely BITTER about the state of education. I am bitter against EVERYONE and EVERYTHING in education. I hate every teacher and administrator I work with, for subjegating me. I am SICK of the patronizing bull----: the condescending daily compliments, the recommendations, the requests to work, the offers to come to staff x-mas parties.

I wish to ---- they'd just be truthful and tell me to ____ off, so that I could finally respond in kind and quit this all. That's the way I feel.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Companion

New York
Education Student-Graduating 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lee View Post
so that I could finally respond in kind and quit this all. That's the way I feel.
It's such a shame you feel that way. But if it's true, why not go to school yourself for a new career? Or look at your skills and see how they'd transfer to something else? You could always try to find a job with a company as a trainer. For instance, I worked at a company who was contracted by the federal government for customer service for Stafford Student Loans and the first 5 weeks were nothing but learning about how it all works- interest, forbearances, deferments, etc. There were three teachers whose only job was to teach new hires.

There are "teaching" jobs out there that don't require you to be a school teacher. If you hate it so much, you really shouldn't be there. That holds true for any job except that your anger and bitterness can affect your students. I'm really sorry if I sound like I know more than I should. I don't mean to be offensive to you, but you've admitted you're not happy. Don't you want to be happy?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Groupie

I don't hate the job. I thoroughly enjoy the profession. I just resent the forces that actively oppose my employment in said profession. Believe me, if I could "just leave", I would. But I feel compelled... I've put so much into becoming a teacher, I derive so much enjoyment in it (working with children), and TBH--I'm so good at what I do, that I would hate to quit without having had a go at it.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Companion

New York
Education Student-Graduating 2016
At this point in my education, I can only imagine the frustration. I don't ever see any of that while observing and of course the one I'm observing doesn't bruit it about. I do try to keep myself informed through here and through certain newsletters in order to prevent a total system shock when I start teaching.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Cohort

Pa.
7th/8th Grade teacher
I was very depressed last year. I remember some days not wanting to get out of bed. This year is better, but is not without problems. I have been written up for a poor lesson, 1 poor lesson.

Tags
depressed, teaching