A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Basic Skills Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Rookie

Need CBEST math!

OK peeps any webpage or practice for math section on the cbest? I just need one more point for this section and I am done with math.:unsu re:

Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome back, surferpaul. What light do your score reports shed as to areas in which you need to improve?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
Welcome back, surferpaul. What light do your score reports shed as to areas in which you need to improve?

I just need one point or points to pass math, received a 37 on math, 44 reading, 41 writing. I was bummed when I received my scores I only needed one point or points in math. I will take the test again!Yeah!

Going to take it in 2 weeks, "Computer style test."
Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
You should have gotten a printed score report that breaks the math results down into three categories: estimation and measurement, numerical and graphical relationships, and computation.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Companion

I would recommend that you take the practice test from the CBEST website. You can then create a study guide based on the problems you did not answer correctly.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the response: estimation and measurement, numerical and graphical relationships.

Jen84, thanks I'll take that advice and I did do the cbest practice and 30 out of 50? Is that good or bad? I don't know how scores are break down.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
"Estimation and measurement" includes knowing your inches/feet, ounces/pounds, ounces/cups/quarts, and temperature scales, along with understanding that "Estimate the result of 95.342 x 0.55" requires one to round the input numbers first and then calculate, not the other way around.

"Numerical and graphical relationships" entails being able to read charts and graphs and extrapolate missing information; it also involves being able to recognize when two numbers (or two ways of stating a number) are equivalent. Fractions and percentages are huge here.

30 out of 50 is 60% of points. It's not awful, though you'd do well to work on the skills in the other 20 questions to give yourself more of a cushion.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Rookie

Here my results
Skill Area

Estimation, Measurement, and ++
Statistical Principles

Computation and Problem Solving +++

Numerical and Graphic Relationships ++

How do I prep for the next test?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Boosting any or all of those should do the job. You could work your way through the arithmetic videos on Khan Academy, http://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic, or you might consider engaging a tutor - if you can find someone who knows the test, I'll guess that what you need is a little help with process rather than a whole lot of reteaching, so it might not even be hideously expensive.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Oh, and you want someone who can walk you through the material on test-score interpretation - it isn't so much that it's advanced math as that it looks kind of daunting.

Tags
cbest, math