A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 11-05-2012, 05:11 AM
Newcomer

Illinois
Middle School Teacher
Struggling First Year Teacher

I need help!! I'm struggling in planning, management, timing, consistency. I think maybe I'm not cut out to be a teacher. I have my first formal observation on Tuesday and have no idea what to do. I'm sweating daily have serious anxiety and could puke any moment. When will things get better? Should I quit now while I'm still sane??

Old 11-05-2012, 05:13 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
OK, deep breaths.

First of all, what subject do you teach? What topic are you up to? What grade?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Cohort

la,ca
Relax. This too shall pass.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Habitué

Ohio/Kentucky
High School Teacher
Every first year teacher has anxiety and overwhelming feelings. Breathe. Do you have a mentor teacher or someone who has been teaching for a few years that can give you some assistance 'in house'?

Everything you mentioned comes with practice and time. You will begin to learn what works best for you and get into a rhythm of how your classroom can run most efficiently for yourself and your students from year to year. Be flexible, learn to adjust to 'some' things-be rigid and firm on others.

You can do it!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Enthusiast

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Relax. Do your best and you'll be okay. They hired you, so they believe that you can do it.

I would recommend a book to help you to relax and not worry as much. The book "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie is a classic. It will help you to relax and enjoy your job. It is available at Amazon.com for pennies plus shipping if you choose Mass Market paperback used. I guarantee if you read 10 minutes a day, you will be so glad you did.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Novice

Teaching is a very challenging profession. It's not you: it's the job! Last year was my first year of teaching and it was very stressful for me as I found myself being bullied by an administrator. This year I am at a new school and it is a thousand times better. Remember you cannot be perfect, especially when you are starting out!! For the formal observation, I recommend having a very structured lesson where you can stay in control of the class. I hate observations. I have never had a formal one since teachers college. At least you have notice of a formal observation! there is nothing worse when the principal just surprises you at the least opportune moment.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Newcomer

Illinois
Middle School Teacher
Sorry for not getting back to this post sooner.. I was busy as always. I teach 5/6 split, 7th and 8th grade Social Studies. Some of the teachers are helpful but mostly everyone is annoyed at my level of incompetency in classroom management. I cried the other night for two hours. @ Cobalt_Waves.. I am bullied too. My AP is so annoyed with me and wants to meet everyday. My formal observation went well. It's the moments when no one is in the room and my students are running around the classroom. I mean.. I'm loosing it. Thank goodness this is a three day week. I just count the days until winter break so I can really refocus and look for new positions. I will order "How to stop worrying and start living" today!! I'm going to a classroom management training the Monday and Tuesday after Thanksgiving so maybe that will give me some pointers. Some days I consider walking out. I cannot wait to start at a new school closer to home. That's the only thing pushing me forward... the prospect of finding a better position in a better school.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Companion

California
Middle School English teacher
I mean this very kindly (as it's hard to show that in typing), but a "better position" and a "better school" doesn't always solve difficulties like this. Not to say that some schools aren't more difficult than others - they are - but all teaching jobs come with their level of difficulty. That being said, starting over could easily re-start your brain and help you feel better and more confident in your abilities. The bad thing would be when prospective employers ask you why you left your old job mid-year.

I'm sorry people aren't being as supportive as you need them to be. Teaching is tough and time-consuming, and a lot of people don't want to take the time to help newcomers because they're so overwhelmed themselves.

As others said above, this too shall pass. I wanted to quit SO MANY times (still do, sometimes when I have a bad day), and luckily my husband pushed me forward

Good luck, and I hope you find a better fit for your needs
Old 11-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Cohort

Midwest
Hang in there a little longer! My stomach hurt for the first half year that I taught (stressed out about everything). Suddenly one day I discovered that the stressed feeling had gone away and I was managing. Middle school can be tough, but you can do it. Be consistent and don't move on unless they are doing what you need them to do. Some of this doesn't go away. Today I stopped several times during a class because students weren't behaving properly. It does work.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Newcomer

Illinois
Middle School Teacher
The other day, a student made a gun with her hand and pretended to shoot me in the head. I cried all weekend and couldn't even focus on my lesson plans. Two more weeks until winter break. I will be job hunting like a mad woman. I am not willing to sacrifice my sanity for this job. The students hate my teaching, they aren't learning, I have no help.. only criticism from my P and AP. I can't go on living like this. I need to be in a place where I don't take my work home. Where I can feel respected as a professional.

Tags
struggling, teacher, year