A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Rookie

Nevada
Substitute Teacher
Second Thoughts

So I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment. I'm going to school to be a teacher and working as a substitute. Lately I've been cancelling jobs because when it gets close the thought of getting up at 6 in the morning gives me anxiety. I know that sounds dumb and a really lame reason to be having second thoughts but I don't know if I can get up early every day. Someone suggested teaching college which sounds great but I have all these ideas for middle or high school that I want to be able to go through with, anyway what are your thoughts on this??

Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Connoisseur

Ohio
In many careers you have to get up early. You get used to it. I think that's a poor reason not to become a teacher.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Fanatic

Texas, USA
Teacher/Instructional Coach
I def think you should rethink your career choice if the timing of getting up early is giving you anxiety. Good luck on your new path!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
So I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment. I'm going to school to be a teacher and working as a substitute. Lately I've been cancelling jobs because when it gets close the thought of getting up at 6 in the morning gives me anxiety. I know that sounds dumb and a really lame reason to be having second thoughts but I don't know if I can get up early every day. Someone suggested teaching college which sounds great but I have all these ideas for middle or high school that I want to be able to go through with, anyway what are your thoughts on this??
Your post ruffles my feathers a bit.

Last week, my district hosted a training for all 2nd grade teachers in my town. There were about 60 of us there. Unfortunately, 5 teachers got sent back to their school site because their sub either didn't show up or cancelled the job right before they were supposed to show up.

The teachers who had to go back to school really missed out on wonderful professional development!

Please keep in mind that no matter what career path you choose, you're going to most likely wake up early to get to work.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
Most jobs require you to get up early. I think not wanting to get up early is a poor excuse to not want to teach, but if you are willing to give up on it over that, then maybe you don't really want it anyway. In either case, getting up early and working is part of being a responsible adult. I really think it might be time to re-evaluate your goals and priorities in life.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Phenom

Disney country
Retired and sleeping late!
Quote:
Grow up
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Cohort

Pennsylvania
I actually really sympathize... I used to have a LOT of anxiety about things like this... there was something about the thought that I might have made a commitment that I might not be able to keep (what if I got sick during the night?) that made me upset. Unfortunately, I found only one way to break that cycle... and that was setting my mind to going to a certain job and going to that job however bad the anxiety was. It helped a lot. I still get anxious like this when coming back from breaks and vacations, but you just gotta steel your mind. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Please keep in mind that no matter what career path you choose, you're going to most likely wake up early to get to work.

This is true. I had to get up at 6am when I was in business, and I get up before 5:30am every day as a teacher. I don't like getting up early, but in order to get something you want, you must pay a price. Getting up early is a small price to pay to be a teacher. If you aren't willing to sacrifice and get up early expect on missing out on most of your hopes and dreams. If you are willing to make sacrifices, then anything is possible.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
If what you do doesn't get you out of bed, find something else to do. Or make peace with having a job that you are not passionate about.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Novice

Music Teacher
I had to wake up earlier when I was subbing than I do now. And I have a 30 min commute now.

Waking up at 5-5:30 to find an assignment for the day was much worse than waking up at 6:00 and already knowing I have a steady job.

Hang in there! And then realize that 6:00am isn't that early for a weekday.

Tags
thoughts