A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Including "step parents" in the elopement

My parents both remarried last year. I'm eloping in January. Should I attempt to somehow include them? The reason I ask is because my step-mom doesn't have any kids, and my step-dad has all boys. So they kind of don't have any other weddings to be involved in... I guess. Get what I'm trying to say?

Anyways... It's just an elopement so no stupid readings or anything like that. My dad asked to walk me down the "aisle" (which will be a made up aisle, obviously). I was thinking of having my dad on one side and my step-dad on the other. But I think that would make my dad feel bad. I'm pretty close to my step dad, not so much to my step mom. I don't want to step on my real parents toes. But I also don't want my step parents to feel completely left out. Or should I just not worry about it?

Thoughts?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Guru

I value and apprciate the role of step-parents, but I don't think they'll feel left out since you're having a small wedding. I mean, what are you even having your mother do?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I think it depends. Is your dad the only one with a part (walking you down the aisle)? If so, I wouldn't worry about finding roles for others. If your mom has a special role or other family have special roles, then you might consider it.

Another way might to to make a small flower arrangement for each parent to put on their dress or tux.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast

Louisiana
We left everyone out of our wedding, for that very reason. My sisters had both dad and stepdad walk them down the aisle, and when the preacher asked who was giving them away, they answered, "we all do." It worked well for our unique family mix.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Yeah you guys are right. I'll just leave them out. It's small and supposed to be no-stress. So I'll keep it that way

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Phenom

Midwest
I know you want it small but you have to remember just has you have dreamed about your wedding... I'm sure dad's have dreamed about this day of giving their little girl away.

I just went back and reread your first post again.... I think since they were just remarried... that if you want your dad to walk you down then you should. I don't see why that's so offensive. Like someone else said get a little flower for both and when asked who gives you away he can say Her parents and I do or something of that nature.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 PM

Way down south in Dixie!
Was PreK SPE, now HS SPE.
I thought elopement meant running off and telling everyone about it after the fact.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Guru

Yeah, I know most people don't know you're getting married, but since your immediate family does and will be there, I don't think it's really an elopement...I'd say a personal and private wedding.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
Your Dad has asked to walk you down the aisle. Don't deny him that pleasure. That's what kept me & DH from eloping, even though it was very stressful planning our large wedding.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Phenom

Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpa1b2 View Post
Your Dad has asked to walk you down the aisle. Don't deny him that pleasure. That's what kept me & DH from eloping, even though it was very stressful planning our large wedding.
It must be a midwest thing... I said the same thing!!! As much as the say girls look forward to it... I know our dads probably do in a different way. I know my friend's son is getting married and we were talking about the excitement and how it pulls on her heartstrings as well....

Tags
elopement, including, step parents