A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Companion

Ole St. Nick

What is the best way to deal with Santa Claus in the classroom?

This past Friday I accidentally used Santa as an example. I think I used him in a sentence example. As soon as his name slipped out I regretted it because the kids went "OOOOH SANTA!" but... BUT one kid went "Santa's not real!" (He's kind of a goober like that, haha. I love him but he has serious behavioral issues... like he likes to peek under the bathroom stalls and peek on other boys peeing)

This led the students to fight back "NOOOO! He too is real!"

And one girl asked me, "Mr. Tek, is Santa real?" with the biggest sad eyes I ever seen. It was so sad, haha...

"He's real to me, he's real to you," I replied.

"Yaaay!" she went. Big ole smile back on task.

I spoke with the boy privately during lunch time that that is not OK to tell others Santa is not real.

Anyway, any advice on how to deal with Santa and six-year-olds?

Did I do the right thing?

December's coming up so I know Santa's right around the corner from being mentioned again in my classroom. I feel like at 6 most kids still believe in Santa, and why shouldn't they?

They can find out the truth when they're in 2nd or 3rd grade, but not 1st. I will need to talk with the boy's parents too (or do you think that's unnecessary? I've been talking to them a lot already about his behavior like the bathroom issue)

Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 AM
Fanatic

Texas, USA
Teacher/Instructional Coach
We walk a tight rope on this issue. Some kids and their parents would be devastated if some child broke the illusion of Santa Claus and other kids and their parents feel like we should not perpetuate a lie. Then there is the Muslim child or Jehovah's Witness that does not celebrate and yet, desperately wishes that Santa will pay them a visit. Unfortunately, there is no right or wrong. I would tell my kids, as long as you believe, he will come. But, then the nonpracticing would feel that they did not wish hard enough. I wish I knew the key. I chose to discuss Christmas minimally and focused on a Winter Theme. It was not nearly as fun, but a whole lot more successful for the majority of my kids. Good Luck! And MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Aficionado

Michigan
In my school, we're not allowed to do anything with Santa. That includes (flying) reindeer. I'm very careful not to bring Santa up. When he does come up there's almost always someone who says that Santa isn't real. I try to shush that child up quickly. I then pull the child aside and tell them that they may not believe in Santa but that other children do.

Having said that, I listen carefully to conversations between parents & children. You can usually learn who uses Santa as a behavior management tool. I will tell those children that I have a direct line to Santa.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
It is a difficult situation because many kids do believe in Santa at that age, but many persons of faith do not promote the belief of Santa within their family. I just try to avoid Santa, in all honesty, and stick to lesser controversial symbols of Christmas. This was easier when I taught in a Christian school because Santa simply wasn't allowed. During Christmas we focused on the true meaning of the holiday, which is the birth of Christ.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
I totally read this title as ˇOlé! St Nick.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Guru

I don't do Santa at school or real life because it conflicts with my personal beliefs.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I say, "Not everyone believes in Santa, but I do, and I know that he only comes to your house if you believe". I also talk to the kids and tell them that if they don't believe that is fine, but we are not going to talk about it at school. I don't think you need to call the parents unless he continues and is mean spirited about it. Honestly,my school is not very religiously diverse and have only had one child not celebrate Christmas, including Santa, in 12 years of preschool and kindergarten.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybelle View Post
I totally read this title as ˇOlé! St Nick.

I do that too sometimes! I'll read it and pronounce it as a Spanish word and then realize it's English!!!!

Tags
nick, ole