A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Our elective teachers are given a directive that students cannot fail. They must make their class fun and enjoyable with little to no work. Not saying this is the best practice; just stating what is done by me. No one EVER fails an elective class in K-8th grade.

With the older students, you might try using music that they enjoy to introduce the concept that you are teaching.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Ask for donations on your city's Freecycle. Look into Donorschoose. See whether any local music stores might be willing to donate something. Google "unconventional percussion". Haunt the local thrift stores for wind chimes with tuned elements, or for pots with good tone. Have students save toilet-paper cores to turn into maracas. PVC "drumsticks" on variously sized cardboard boxes can be surprisingly effective, along the lines of the astonishing Japanese percussion Kodo, a modern exponent of taiko drumming. Google Evelyn Glennie, whose instruments include flowerpots.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
Our elective teachers are given a directive that students cannot fail. They must make their class fun and enjoyable with little to no work. Not saying this is the best practice; just stating what is done by me. No one EVER fails an elective class in K-8th grade.
Wow. I think this is complete garbage! Little to no work? Wow.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Novice

Music Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post

With the older students, you might try using music that they enjoy to introduce the concept that you are teaching.
I had never thought to fail anyone at music either. Like I said, I thought I made it impossible. The class is supposed to be fun and absolutely stress-free. I can't disagree with anything you've said, which is why I'm in such awe of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
Ask for donations on your city's Freecycle. Look into Donorschoose. See whether any local music stores might be willing to donate something. Google "unconventional percussion". Haunt the local thrift stores for wind chimes with tuned elements, or for pots with good tone. Have students save toilet-paper cores to turn into maracas. PVC "drumsticks" on variously sized cardboard boxes can be surprisingly effective, along the lines of the astonishing Japanese percussion Kodo, a modern exponent of taiko drumming. Google Evelyn Glennie, whose instruments include flowerpots.
Thank you for those donation suggestions. As for the recycled, upcycled, thrift-shopped, and second-hand instruments... where do you think I got the instruments I brought to school? The thrift stores by my house already know what I'm looking for when I show up on weekends.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Ah: yours may be the class in which your students begin to be disabused of the notion that fun is always stress-free. Tell them your class is a place to make big mistakes, and to figure out how either to recover from them or to take advantage of them.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
When we had band or music classes when I was around those ages, our parents had to purchase our instruments for us. I could be incorrect in assuming that this is a band-type class however.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Are these students CHOOSING to take music (elective) or REQUIRED to take music (special area)...in my district, music is a special area. What are your music content standards?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
The OP said this is a poverty-area charter school, so it's possible that the state content standards in music are being taken as advisory rather than mandatory.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXMusic View Post

I'm a new teacher at a poverty-area charter school where there hasn't been a music program up until this year.

Since it's a new class, an elective, and something they barely have experience with, I made the grade almost entirely behavior/participation based. I thought I'd made it impossible to fail and very difficult to get a C. I'm being proven wrong. The one thing making me feel better about this is that apparently the regular teachers are having the same problems.
U
OK...so I reread your first post...there's never been a music class before. You're inventing it....that's awesome, and exciting, and difficult. Don't let the test grades 'prove you wrong'. Decide if kids are participating, enjoying your class, paying attention, and getting some appreciation for different kinds of music is enough to get a passing grade. I understand your frustration and while you don't want kids to think your class is a cakewalk, you also don't want to turn them off to music. Maybe there's other ways they could show you what they've learned besides a pencil and paper test?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
It seems to me that you have been fair on your grading policy, and even gave them a chance to improve their grades. I think you gave them the grades they earned fairly. Only if you think the grades you gave are unfair would I change them.

This quarter you might make some adjustments. Several of the posts seem to have some good ideas for you.

Tags
failing, music