A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Comrade

curious about special ed students and what happens to them in real life

I sub in autistic self-contained rooms quite a bit and they seem to do well with lots of 1-1 support. I wonder how the low-functioning students turn out as adults? Do they become completely dependent on their parents when they are adults or do they keep getting support?
I keep wanting to ask the special ed teachers but we are so focused on just getting thru the day that I feel it awkward to ask unrelated questions.

Thanks so much,
thesub

Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Guru

I am interested in the responses.

The students I went to school with who were in the TMH class live dependently. I know one, though, who has a part-time job. To be honest, though, I am 99% certain the job was a "gift". A very sweet one, I might add. Those less severe seem to struggle, though I don't know them well enough to give a complete picture.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Comrade

New York
Kindergarten Teacher
I once taught a class of students with autism and I loved it. I always wonder what their home life is outside of school. I heard recently that one of the kids I taught doesn't experience Thanksgiving (or probably any holiday…). It really broke my heart. These kids need a lot of love no matter what
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
I know a student I had in my student teaching had a social worker that worked with his family. His parents had cognitive disabilities too and apparently he was on a much higher level than they were (he was identified with MR, 3rd grade). The social worker helped them with daily living tasks such as grocery shopping, cooking, etc. She also came to any school meetings with them. They did have their own apartment...I'm not sure if she lived nearby or what, but she seemed extensively involved with this family. They had jobs as baggers at a local store.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Comrade

Michigan
Art Teacher - K-5
I currently volunteer in a special education class for students with autism/cognitive impairment ages 18-26. The class is set up so the students come to class half a day and work on life skills - counting change, cooking, reading. I teach art so I am not sure of the structure but there are a lot of teachers that come in to work with them individually, I am guessing they are speech-language pathologists from the district. The other half of the day they work at a paid job set up through the program. There is an upscale thrift store across the street that partners with the school and hires many students and helps them do fundraisers. Others work at district libraries. Some of the students are able to live in group homes, most live with their parents. The hope is that they will have the highest degree of independence possible, and will be able to manage finances and use public transportation and cook for themselves. Some students have other physical impairments and will need life long support. I don't think all school districts have programs like this but it is so amazing!

Tags
curious, life, real, special, students