A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM
TeacherGroupie TeacherGroupie is offline
Multitudinous
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 25,579
Calif.
Luke, it's also quite possible that you're an introvert. Remarkably many teachers are. If you find yourself needing to leave school at the end of the day and Just Be Alone, For Gosh Sakes, that's perfectly normal.
__________________
Education isn't what you know. It's what you can do (and fake, intelligently) with what you know.
http://www.testmaven.com
Reply With Quote

 
  #22  
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
YoungTeacherGuy's Avatar
YoungTeacherGuy YoungTeacherGuy is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,484
California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
Would you consider taking an anti-anxiety medication? Maybe it's time to visit with your doctor.
I wholeheartedly agree!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Peachyness's Avatar
Peachyness Peachyness is offline
Virtuoso
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,170
US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
I wouldn't necessarily jump at the chance at taking meds until you have tried other methods first. THEN, I would start to look into them.

First, give it more time.

I was an awesome sub and my second student teaching assignment went really well. Yet, when I was hired to teach my first class, I also had a tough time. I also felt sick (nervous stomach), dry mouth, felt unsure, etc. I had taught before (as a sub and student teaching) and did my field work through my university courses and yet I felt so scared! I think it was just so much to take in. My own class that I was now in charge of. I had assessments to now worry about, parents, admins, coworkers, I had to worry about making sure my kinders had the right bus information and got them on the right bus at the end of the day, lunch numbers had to be learned, etc etc. Things that I didn't even think about when I student taught or subbed. Anyways, after a couple of months, I was on a roll and LOVED that class. By March I began to pray that time would just stand still. I didn't want the year to end.

I'm a HUGE introvert, very shy, and have always had low self esteem. I think part of these things played a part when I was first hired. Now, I'm still those things but I now have the experience under my belt. In fact, my coworkers would have never thought that I consider myself shy and an introvert. Hmmm, maybe I'm not anymore?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Peregrin5's Avatar
Peregrin5 Peregrin5 is offline
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,133
California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachyness View Post
I wouldn't necessarily jump at the chance at taking meds until you have tried other methods first. THEN, I would start to look into them.

First, give it more time.

I was an awesome sub and my second student teaching assignment went really well. Yet, when I was hired to teach my first class, I also had a tough time. I also felt sick (nervous stomach), dry mouth, felt unsure, etc. I had taught before (as a sub and student teaching) and did my field work through my university courses and yet I felt so scared! I think it was just so much to take in. My own class that I was now in charge of. I had assessments to now worry about, parents, admins, coworkers, I had to worry about making sure my kinders had the right bus information and got them on the right bus at the end of the day, lunch numbers had to be learned, etc etc. Things that I didn't even think about when I student taught or subbed. Anyways, after a couple of months, I was on a roll and LOVED that class. By March I began to pray that time would just stand still. I didn't want the year to end.

I'm a HUGE introvert, very shy, and have always had low self esteem. I think part of these things played a part when I was first hired. Now, I'm still those things but I now have the experience under my belt. In fact, my coworkers would have never thought that I consider myself shy and an introvert. Hmmm, maybe I'm not anymore?
This is EXACTLY how I felt last year and even the beginning of this year.

I think a lot of it is new teacher jitters. You'll do fine. Just stick with it Luke.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Cobalt_Waves's Avatar
Cobalt_Waves Cobalt_Waves is offline
Novice
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 68
Middle School Teacher
I will never forget the first time I student taught. My heart rate was probably dangerously high and I was sweating bullets. A few months later I came to accept that I had an anxiety disorder. I have taken Celexa off and on ever since and it helps A LOT. The side effects are annoying, and I don't like to take it anymore than I have to, but it helps just knowing it is there. It helps just knowing that my anxiety CAN be greatly diminished by simply taking a pill. I have gotten through a lot of difficult periods of my life thanks to it.
I can now teach with very little anxiety as long as I am not in a particularly trying situation... Then of course I am anxious like anyone else would be.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 AM
LukeofAppalachi LukeofAppalachi is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Pathum Thani, Thailand
Thanks for the suggestion Cobalt...Hmm...I may look around for such things, as I do believe it may be tied to my previous OCD, GAD tendencies (I was once prescribed Flouvoxamine, but never really got to taking it very often, perhaps it's time to try these things again.)

I know teaching comes with anxiety and stress, but what I am feeling just seems...excessive, and I really really want to enjoy my job and I don't want the kids to suffer for my own anxiety problems...I don't know if Thailand carries that particular medicine, but I may be able to find a substitute.

Also...even if I wanted to leave teaching, I don't have much a choice. In Thailand, if you're white, you teach (I think they even have laws barring foreigners from being employed in much else). Most importantly, my (soon-to-be) fiancee lives here, and it is simply not a choice to return home at this point to seek alternative employment.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 AM
TamiJ's Avatar
TamiJ TamiJ is offline
Virtuoso
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,439
Mexico
1st grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeofAppalachi View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Cobalt...Hmm...I may look around for such things, as I do believe it may be tied to my previous OCD, GAD tendencies (I was once prescribed Flouvoxamine, but never really got to taking it very often, perhaps it's time to try these things again.)

I know teaching comes with anxiety and stress, but what I am feeling just seems...excessive, and I really really want to enjoy my job and I don't want the kids to suffer for my own anxiety problems...I don't know if Thailand carries that particular medicine, but I may be able to find a substitute.

Also...even if I wanted to leave teaching, I don't have much a choice. In Thailand, if you're white, you teach (I think they even have laws barring foreigners from being employed in much else). Most importantly, my (soon-to-be) fiancee lives here, and it is simply not a choice to return home at this point to seek alternative employment.
I really think you need to allow yourself time. In the beginning, teaching is very hard. You are learning how to balance everything and most of the challenges do not include the actual teaching but everything else. Stress and anxiety are normal, but you do need to find a balance and find what works for you in your classroom. Hw long have you been in Thailand? As someone who is teaching abroad I know that being in a foreign country adds a whole different level to the experience, and feeling isolated and lonely can be part of it. Do you think this might be true for you as well? Learning to live and function in a different country is overwhelming in itself.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 AM
LukeofAppalachi LukeofAppalachi is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Pathum Thani, Thailand
Hey Tami, I have been in Thailand for about 7 months now, so I have somewhat adjusted, but there is a lot to learn in this culture. I do think over time, the stress will reduce, but I also believe being here in another country and teaching (both stressful ventures) has caused my OCD/GAD, which I had believed to have become dormant, to flare up once more...but that is a topic for a different forum (and likely--a completely different website). Today we had a field trip to the Bangkok Planetarium, so it was pretty stress free! we foreign teachers let the Thai teacher "run the show" for the day. Anyways, I will continue to keep trudging along; (while trying my best of course!) we have atoms and elements up this week on the agenda.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM
TamiJ's Avatar
TamiJ TamiJ is offline
Virtuoso
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,439
Mexico
1st grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeofAppalachi View Post
Hey Tami, I have been in Thailand for about 7 months now, so I have somewhat adjusted, but there is a lot to learn in this culture. I do think over time, the stress will reduce, but I also believe being here in another country and teaching (both stressful ventures) has caused my OCD/GAD, which I had believed to have become dormant, to flare up once more...but that is a topic for a different forum (and likely--a completely different website). Today we had a field trip to the Bangkok Planetarium, so it was pretty stress free! we foreign teachers let the Thai teacher "run the show" for the day. Anyways, I will continue to keep trudging along; (while trying my best of course!) we have atoms and elements up this week on the agenda.
This is my fourth year in Mexico. The first year was an adventure and all new, fun and exciting. Near the end of the first year was when cultural differences began to get annoying. Even though I speak Spanish (better now than in my first year) I felt like it was so hard to communicate everything I wanted to. After the adventure part of it wears off, you're left with the reality of being so far away from everything that's comfortable to you. Of course I'm only in Mexico, and it's not so different from the U.S. I imagine the cultural differences you're experiencing are to a much greater level than I ever experienced. Just keep at it, stay positive, and give yourself time. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 PM
LukeofAppalachi LukeofAppalachi is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Pathum Thani, Thailand
Alright...I guess one could say I caved. Took my first Xanax today before the school day. Many may not respect me much for this decision, but the pain inside was just too much, and my stress was causing quite a bit of strain on my mine and my fiancee's relationship. She just couldn't understand how being around such "cute kids" could stress anyone out and said that being anxious about teaching them was just "strange" (Having confidence issues as it is, this didn't help much). Anyways, the xanax seems to be helping, as I'm not completely dreading the day today. I was even so wrapped up in my last class (my most challenging one!) that I was a bit sad to hear the bell ring! (which rarely happens). I don't plan on this medicine to be long-term, as I plan to start trying alternatives such as meditation and a good workout routine. I think they will help...but I just needed something a little more fast-acting to sustain me while I work out the other techniques. I really do appreciate all the support on here. I hope once I work all my issues out, I can contribute to others who may come into the same situations as me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
makes, sick, teaching

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off







Mr. Rebates


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Copyright © 1997-2010 A to Z Teacher Stuff, L.L.C.  All Rights Reserved.
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.
Questions, comments, and suggestions: Contact Us
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.