A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Devotee

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Science Teacher
My understanding (as a foreigner) is that your Charter schols have the option of sending any child that misbehaves back to the local public school. Is this correct? If it is then they should have good behaviour as they get rid of the miscreants and at the same time reduce the discipline in their rival schols!

Old 11-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
My understanding (as a foreigner) is that your Charter schols have the option of sending any child that misbehaves back to the local public school. Is this correct?

This is not exactly correct. Rules for expelling students from charter schools are more complicated than that. Also, students can be expelled from public schools for major offenses, such as bringing a gun to school. It varies by district and charter school.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Cohort

Upper Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer View Post
My understanding (as a foreigner) is that your Charter schols have the option of sending any child that misbehaves back to the local public school. Is this correct? If it is then they should have good behaviour as they get rid of the miscreants and at the same time reduce the discipline in their rival schols!
Struggling students, or any student, can typically leave a charter of their own volition. For example, the KIPP schools have a 40% attrition rate for Black students in the upper grades. This leaves only the most motivated and family-supported students in the school when testing starts. The KIPP schools have also received millions in donations from the Walton and Gates foundations in addition to the public money they get from tax payers.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Groupie

California
Social Studies
And public schools never get donated funds, right?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguykev View Post
Public schools can receive donated funds but most administrators do not try to engage in fundraising or public/private partnerships.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Cohort

Upper Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguykev View Post
Our school has bake sales and gift wrap sales. We get donated money. Recently the Walton (Walmart) Foundation gave charter schools in Californian $17 million to support expansion.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
I did not intend for this discussion to become one that compares public to charter schools in general.

I was comparing one local charter school that has met with success with the public school where I teach, that has met with failure.

I was curious to see what they did differently. Was there something that they implemented at their school that we could possibly do at my school?

I looked at their website and saw exactly what made the difference. I would love to have that kind of support for the very challenging behaviors I encounter at my school.
Great way to look at it! Definitely good to look at success stories and try to learn. As you look further into why their scores may be higher, do you know what curricula they use, what their professional development has been, etc.? In other words, I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that their schoolwide behavior management rules are the main cause of the difference?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
I am making the assumption that the charter school has more money than we are allocated based on information from their website. They have a lower student to teacher ratio than we do, have aides for all of their K-5 classes, and have a dean who exclusively handles discipline.

Notice that I said that they have more money than "we are allocated". While the money spent per student in our district may appear to be higher, that money is not actually available to our school to be used for the benefit of the students. That money goes to the bloated administrative monster known as the district office and disappears into the many layers of bureaucracy .

The priorities of our school, the hopes and dreams of our students and their families, have nothing to do with the priorities of the administrators of our school district. Yes, it is about money.
So, if it's about money, what are they spending that money on? What are they investing in that's making a difference in the quality of their education? What specifically have they purchased that other schools might be able to use?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Groupie

California
Social Studies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler B. View Post
Our school has bake sales and gift wrap sales. We get donated money. Recently the Walton (Walmart) Foundation gave charter schools in Californian $17 million to support expansion.
Our schools recently got $148 million in bond money that the public school board was able to put on the ballot. We also recently built a brand new stadium financed in large part by donations and I live/work in a poor area.

I'm not denying that private support helps the charters survive and thrive - it does and it should. I do deny that this means they have more money than public schools. They still function with less and simply have the right priorities (you know, like not building $30 million stadiums).
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Companion

Texas
9th Grade World Geography
Quote:
I was reading about a local charter school in my city that is doing very well academically compared to the public school where I teach. The socioeconomic level of the population is somewhat higher than that of our school population.

Comparing these 2 schools, it is easy to see exactly why this school is doing so much better than ours.

The teachers at this school can actually teach, because they have effective consequences for the behaviors listed below. In my school, most of these behaviors would have no consequences. Most would receive no attention at all from an administrator.

Similar student population, vastly different results. Give us an equal playing field, and I guarantee you we would look just as good academically.

Behavior
• Aggressive language (including cursing) • Bullying* • Defiance
• Deliberately throwing chairs, furniture,
school property* • Destruction of property (major) • Endangering self or others • Extortion • Fighting* • Harassing another student* • Inappropriate use of the Internet
• Inappropriate touching* • Instigating a Fight or Assault*
• Making threats
• Not following directions during safety drills
• Plagiarism/Cheating
• Physical Violence*
• Spitting on another person intentionally
• Stealing or assisting another student who is
stealing
• Tantrums that disrupt learning and/or
make the class feel unsafe*
• Vandalism
• Walking out of class

Possible Consequences
(More than one consequence may be assigned)
The following may apply to all behaviors listed in the
column to the left:
• The student will be immediately removed from
the classroom and sent to the Dean’s Office.
• Student will Take a Break and reflect on the
incident.
• Student will discuss and practice expected
behavior with Dean of Students.
• Mediation between all participants. This will
include a chance to “fix” relationships or
objects.
• Parent may be called by the Dean of Students.
Parent may be asked to speak with the student
at the time of the call to discuss the behavior
and expectations.
• A letter, documenting the incident, will be
given to the parent. Parent is expected to sign
and return the letter on the next school day.
• Student may lose a privilege.
• Student may be given an assignment to be done
at home.
• Student may be given after-school community
service.
• Student may be assigned after-school detention.
• Student may be assigned Saturday School.
• Student may be sent home. Parent will be asked
to come to school and take the student home
within one and-a-half hours.
• Student may be suspended out of school
between 1 and 3 days, not including the day of
the incident.
• Parent meeting will be required.
• Student may be placed on Behavioral Probation
I'm always skeptical with any claim of a single solution. Does the parental involvement differ? Higher-income families sometimes have higher expectations for their children. Does the charter school offer some kind of training that the public school doesn't?

I agree that the expectations & consequences would help, but I'm not sold that it's exactly the difference.

Tags
charter, consequences, list, school