A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Cohort

Adjacent To Your House
HS Senior
This year I had an Honors Algebra II and an English College Prep test on the same day. Both tests are difficult and English is always lengthy. I do agree that if they are taking honors they should definitely be able to handle two tests. They should know how to prepare for tests because when the midterm and final comes around in my school it is what it is. The student must find a way to study even if they have your final and their biology final on the same day.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Devotee

New York
HS Mathematics, Performing Arts
Pish tosh, two tests is nothing. What about when they're in college and they have four finals on the same day because that's how they scheduled their classes?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
If it's your school policy then by all means follow it, but if they've only had two tests, I believe students at that age should be able to handle the stress of taking two tests on the same day. In some ways it's better than staggering the tests in my opinion, because you can evenly split the time between the two tests. When they're staggered, students tend to study only for the earliest test and cram for the second.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Aficionado

North Carolina
Middle School Math Teacher
I wouldn't mind moving my test if I had some advance notice. Yes, the kids should be able to handle two tests in one day, but as the professional adult in the room, I should also be willing and able to adjust my schedule if it helps the kids.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Guru

Two seems doable.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Connoisseur

I teach elementary, so this is not a problem for me. However, I do remember my high school teachers having a "test calendar" in the facutly lounge. They had to record major test and projects (not quizzes or smaller things) so that they things would not get overloaded. Of course, this did not mean that things never overlapped. It was more of a way to avoid 3 major projects at once or 5 tests on the same day.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2teach View Post
I teach elementary, so this is not a problem for me. However, I do remember my high school teachers having a "test calendar" in the facutly lounge. They had to record major test and projects (not quizzes or smaller things) so that they things would not get overloaded. Of course, this did not mean that things never overlapped. It was more of a way to avoid 3 major projects at once or 5 tests on the same day.

We had that at one school where I worked. Of course, there were only 10 teachers and zero electives. The kids still crammed the night before or "forgot" their assignments. It did not make any difference in grades after we went to that policy.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Connoisseur

MA
High School Math Teacher
My school has quite a few electives and about 15 teachers per department, so that wouldn't work.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
I teach 5th grade and I have scheduled 2 tests in the same day. They know it ahead of time, and they are told to prepare for it. I have found that those who usually do well on tests still do well, and those who usually don't...well you know.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 AM
Fanatic

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
We don't schedule our tests around each other's schedules - kids should be able to handle two tests in one day (which is what happens during semester exam week, anyway). We do try to make sure that they don't have two major projects due on the same day.

Tags
day, find, giving, huge, teacher, test