A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Habitué

Canada
Had a kid call me out on my marking today

I teach Math. I tell the kids that the process is just as important as the right answer. I expect them to show their work, and I mark their work. Most of my questions are multi-step and are worth any number of points - 1 point for the correct answer and another point (or points) for showing me that they understood the process.

Well, I gave an assignment and I marked it yesterday. A number of kids chose not to show their work on two particular questions (each question had 4 problems), even though I reminded them to show their work when I handed the assignment out and the instructions clearly state that they must show their work.

When I handed back the assignment today, the students who did not show their work got upset. One kid said "But those points would have taken me from a 74% to a 90%!" Yep, I said.

To which he replied "I call bulls**t"

I told him he could call whatever, or whomever, he chose in the office.

Sigh...this was the topper to a very bad week. Hopefully next week is better.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Devotee

New York
HS Mathematics, Performing Arts
I can't really comment since I don't know what the question is, but are you sure it's their fault if a number of students all didn't show work on the same questions?

I also think bringing a kid from an A to a C because of not showing work is a bit harsh, but it's your classroom.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Midwest
3rd Grade--Lutheran School
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTeachesMath View Post
I can't really comment since I don't know what the question is, but are you sure it's their fault if a number of students all didn't show work on the same questions?

I also think bringing a kid from an A to a C because of not showing work is a bit harsh, but it's your classroom.
Our state tests require students to show work to receive full credit on the applied skills portion of the test. I'm not sure of the complete breakdown, but if they do not it can strongly affect their score.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Guru

Why didn't they show their work on these two? Because they were longer and more involved? Have you always expected work? (Although, honestly, if it was on the handout then I don't think it matters much.)

The student's response was unacceptable.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Quote:

I don't. In my physics class the answer to a question is worth 1 point, while the entire question is worth 10. I always drill them about showing their work. And they know to do it. I never have a problem with kids not showing work. But if I did, I would take off points in a heartbeat.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Devotee

New York
Well yeah if they didn't show work on ANY questions, obviously it's time to dock points, since they could have just plugged it into Wolfram.

I'm not saying don't dock points for those two questions, but 16?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Groupie

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by amakaye View Post
Our state tests require students to show work to receive full credit on the applied skills portion of the test. I'm not sure of the complete breakdown, but if they do not it can strongly affect their score.
Ditto for us.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Guru

Quote:
Well yeah if they didn't show work on ANY questions, obviously it's time to dock points, since they could have just plugged it into Wolfram.

I'm not saying don't dock points for those two questions, but 16?
But those two questions had four problems...that's eight questions with no work shown.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Devotee

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
But those two questions had four problems...that's eight questions with no work shown.
Ohhhhh. I read OP's post wrong. Ignore me!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Cohort

Adjacent To Your House
Undergraduate
In my school for all math classes, not showing work is unacceptable . If it were one problem just with the answer no credit would be given.

Tags
call, kid, marking, today