A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
I majored in Elementary Ed. with a minor in Sociology.

My credential is for multiple subjects (Grades K-8). I've passed many rigorous tests to become certified to teach grades K-8: CBEST, CSET (Multiple Subjects), and RICA.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Phenom

Midwest
At the college I attended it was quite the deal. I did Elem Ed, you have a mandatory minor in math and science, you pick your third... I chose group social sciences (social studies, poli sci and one other sorry it's been awhile) and then I also did a 4th with getting my early childhood cert!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetea View Post
I think it would be a challenge to get a masters in certain subjects without the background knowledge gained from a bachelor's in that subject.
True. There is no way I could get a masters in math; however, if a person takes some undergrad classes dealing with that subject while getting their bachelor's in education, that would help a bit. Maybe?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngal View Post
I think if a teacher has a bachelor's degree in their subject area, then a masters in education would be benefical. However, if a teacher has a bachelor's in education, then a masters in the subject area would be more beneficial.
Again this is my personal preference, but I have had quite enough of education classes just from my credential. I would prefer to get a bachelors and a masters in my subject area, because I sometimes feel that education is a field in which a degree isn't really necessary. One can probably glean the same quality and education from professional development such as National Board Certification, but not have to pay for the outrageous college degree costs.

It's much more difficult to get professional development in your content area.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Comrade

I think part of the issue - or at least its what I've experienced in the humanities - is how incredibly difficult it is to get an MA in a subject area such as modern languages while working/teaching full time. In most universities, these MA programs offer classes only during the day, so they are really only designed for full time graduate students. I have by BA in the modern language I teach with a second major in Early Childhood Ed, and I chose the MEd route so I could get the K-12 secondary certification in the modern language. Sorry, I'm not taking 2 years off and going into serious debt in addition to COL expenses because this guy says better teachers do it unless I come into some money and don't have to borrow because 90% of the time, that just doesn't pay off in our field. I applied for a full time pure MA program at a great school a few years back, and when I didn't get full funding (but was second on waiting list!), I knew God was leading me in a different direction.

While I agree that it is important to be knowledgeable in your content area, universities need to make the pure subject MA programs more accessible to teachers by offering classes at night and concentrating heavy workload courses over the summer, and include teacher certification options embedded in the programs - that is, if they want their teachers to have advanced degrees in the content area they teach. Some are starting to, but others have a long way to go.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqxu View Post
I think part of the issue - or at least its what I've experienced in the humanities - is how incredibly difficult it is to get an MA in a subject area such as modern languages while working/teaching full time. In most universities, these MA programs offer classes only during the day, so they are really only designed for full time graduate students. I have by BA in the modern language I teach with a second major in Early Childhood Ed, and I chose the MEd route so I could get the K-12 secondary certification in the modern language. Sorry, I'm not taking 2 years off and going into serious debt in addition to COL expenses because this guy says better teachers do it unless I come into some money and don't have to borrow because 90% of the time, that just doesn't pay off in our field. I applied for a full time pure MA program at a great school a few years back, and when I didn't get full funding (but was second on waiting list!), I knew God was leading me in a different direction.

While I agree that it is important to be knowledgeable in your content area, universities need to make the pure subject MA programs more accessible to teachers by offering classes at night and concentrating heavy workload courses over the summer, and include teacher certification options embedded in the programs - that is, if they want their teachers to have advanced degrees in the content area they teach. Some are starting to, but others have a long way to go.
I was wondering about this too. It's near impossible to pay for college these days, and near impossible to work while attending, so I was wondering if there would be a good way for teachers to pay their way through college. Maybe not working full time but part time, teaching online or working as a credentialed tutor at places like Sylvan or something.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
I am from California where the requirement is a BA in anything, and then a teaching credential. I have a BA in English, a Mater's degree in teaching, a single-subject teaching credential in English, and a multiple-subject teaching credential.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetea View Post
I think it would be a challenge to get a masters in certain subjects without the background knowledge gained from a bachelor's in that subject.
From my experience, if an applicant doesn't have a Bachelor's in the subject, most Master's programs will give a conditional or subjective admission, requiring additional courses to bring them up speed. Even with a BA in Theatre, I had to take a Theatre History class for my MA because the school didn't think my class in undergrad was sufficient.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Novice

I have both. Most teacher training programs in English Canada are post-baccalaureate, meaning you already need to have a bachelor's degree to apply.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Connoisseur

CA.
1st Grade Teacher
In the state I am in many do not have education bachelor degrees. I got my bachelor degree in visual arts and then got a credential and masters in education.

Tags
curious