A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Rookie

Texas, United States
College Assignment: Teacher Interview: 4th/5th/Middle School/High School

Name:
City/State:
School District:
School:

Where did you graduate from?

What was your first teaching job?

How long have you been teaching?

Describe your worst behaved student; how did you handle that
student and was it successful?

What do you like most about your job?

What do you like least about your job?

Is there anything you would do differently with your education?

What is the best advice you could give to a new teacher?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Why don't you start by introducing yourself first buddy. We'll be a lot more forthcoming if you explain to us who you are, why you're interested in this information, and ask us nicely without barraging us with question bullets.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Rookie

Texas, United States
Oh right! So sorry! My name is Sabrina. And I am a college student on my way to become an elementary school teacher. I graduate next semester with my associates degree. In this semesters class, our assignment is to interview one of each of the above mentioned grade levels. (4th, 5th/Middle School/High School) So sorry to have come off so rude! My apologies and thank you for replying!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Don't worry about it! Thanks for fixing it. =] A lot of students just leave us with tons of questions and then disappear without a trace afterwards. We usually like it when we get some background info first.

Anyway my name is Chuck. Here on this forum we don't tend to give out information about what school we come from or what district we work for because we're not allowed legally to give that information, at least not publicly. But I can do my best to answer the rest of your questions.

I graduated from University of California, Davis. My first teaching job is where I am at right now, which again I can't give you the specifics of, but it is a Middle School in the Bay Area.

This is my first year teaching with a credential. I did one half year of intern teaching. My worst behaved student came from last year when I was an intern. He was very confrontational, refused to take responsibility for any actions of his, was a bully to other students, etc. Of course I had much less experience back then as well, so I'm afraid a lot of his behavior was simply exacerbated by my lack of experience in dealing with students like that.

I tried every tack I could from positive reinforcement, consequences, etc. of what I knew of at the time (which wasn't a lot) and trying to build a relationship with him. None of it worked, and near the end of the year it ended with me blowing up at him because he told another student to kill herself.

I don't believe at this point, that any student will ever get to the point he did in any of my future classes. He was a result of poor home conditions, possibly anger management issues, and a result of my not managing a classroom as effectively as I could have if I had more experience.

What I like most about my job is that it is a mental challenge. I try to find the best ways to present material and activities that will best get students to understand and remember complex science concepts. I also am challenged to improve my classroom management and relationships with my students every day. It's great fun. I love science and I love teaching.

What I like least about my job right now is that I am rushing to get curriculum planned each day. I imagine this challenge will lessen as the years go by, but it's not very fun frantically typing up worksheets, getting materials, and worrying about whether or not things will be ready by the next day and then having to do it all over again that night. After the first year though, I can use most of what I have as a good base and build off of it which should be simpler.

I would like to have gone through college again with the responsibility and study strategies that I've built up over the past few years from being left to my own devices to care for myself and find a career. I was a middling student in college, and I always found that a shame because I could have done a lot better if I had worked harder and worked smarter.

I do plan on getting another degree in the future, but I believe I will remain a teacher.

Some of the best advice I can give to a new teacher is to be intrinsically motivated to improve. A good teacher is a good learner, so push yourself to independently study classroom management books, content curriculum books, and other things. Even if you feel like you have a good grasp on something, never stop trying to learn. Keep building your skills in something.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Rookie

Texas, United States
Such great info! Thanks so much for answering my questions! Greatly appreciated!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Phenom

Disney country
Retired and sleeping late!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinamart07 View Post
Name:
City/State:
School District:
School:

Where did you graduate from?

What was your first teaching job?

How long have you been teaching?

Describe your worst behaved student; how did you handle that
student and was it successful?

What do you like most about your job?

What do you like least about your job?

Is there anything you would do differently with your education?

What is the best advice you could give to a new teacher?
1. I can tell you that I work in Florida.
2.I graduated from a school in upstate NY.
3. My first teaching job was in HeadStart (also in upstate NY)
4. I have been teaching for 39 years.
5. I have years of working with SPED students...so I have seen everything that a students can (literally and figuratively) throw at you. Patience and consistency have been my biggest allies.
6. What I like best about my job are the pleasant interactions I have with the children and staff at my school.
7. What I like worst about my job is the loss of autonomy. I no longer decide what are the most important things to teach my children.
8. If I had to change anything about my education, I would have gone back for a Master's when I was younger.
9. My advice for a new teacher is to remember not to take yourself too seriously...enjoy yourself.

Good luck!

Tags
4th grade, 4th or 5th or middle, 5th grade, assignment, college, high school, interview, middle school, teacher, teacher interview