A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Basic Skills Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Rookie

Special Education Teacher
score confusion

Okay, so i'm freaking out because the first time i took the cbest i did not pass. i got a 41 in the writing ,35 in reading and 38 in math. I only took the reading part of the test the second time around because I thought that my math score was a passing score. when i went to look at my results from the first test it said that the math was not passed!!! what does this mean???I thought if the score was over 37 it was passing?? now I'm freaking out Does anyone know how this really works??

Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Breathe, please, goodgrrl1977.

CBEST uses what they call "compensatory scoring". What this means is that, yes, a full passing score in a given section of the test is 41 points (on a scale from 20 to 80)... BUT that's not the only way to pass the test. You can get away with a score as low as 37 on one or even two sections provided that your total score on all three sections is 123 or more. Scores from 37 to 40 are called "minimal pass" scores.

In your case, you've got 41 - a full pass - in writing and 38 - a minimal pass - in math. That means you've got 79 points in hand and you need another 44 points to hit the magic 123. You can do any of the following:

- Retake only the reading comprehension, achieving a score of 44 or more: 44 + 38 + 41 = 123

- Retake the reading comprehension, achieving a score of 37, AND retake math, achieving a score of 45, or any combination of reading score + math score that adds up to 82 or more, since 123 -41 = 82, or

- Retake the reading comprehension, achieving a score of 37, and retake the essay, achieving a score of 48, or any combination of reading score plus essay score that adds up to 85, because 123 - 38 = 85

If this isn't clear, ask.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Rookie

Thank you so much for clarifying this for me TeacherGroupie! I actually took the reading part only,thinking that I could get a higher score of 44 or better and that would be it. I just freaked out when I looked at my old scores and the wriiten said it was passed and the math section still said not passed. But, I guess it will change once I pass the reading section right?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
That's correct.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Rookie

Thank you so much TeacherGroupie!! you have puty mind at ease

Tags
confusion, score