A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Multiple Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Comrade

New York
Kindergarten Teacher
Multi-Subject CST (NY)

So I failed this god forsaken test for the second time, this time I did worse. I tried Kaplan, tried NYSTCE packet…it's like studying doesn't help at all! I decided to spend more money and do it computer-based. I NEED to pass this test soon to be able to get a full-time job next September. What's the best way to study to pass this test? I'm getting tired of re-taking it multiple times, and it's enough that I also still need to take the CST in Students with Disabilities. Advice is very welcomed. Thank you!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Devotee

New York
HS Mathematics, Performing Arts
Have you tried the REA book? That's what I used to study for my Math CST and passed with flying colors (although I didn't use the book for much... I already had 90% of the content knowledge).
Old 10-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
My recollection is that the NYSTCE score report breaks one's performance down by domain tested. MissPapa, how close are you coming to a passing score, and which domains seem to be giving you grief?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
I'll add that for every single test-prep resource out there, one can find people who swear by it and people who swear at it. It's possible that the standard prep books aren't the right choice for you, and that isn't necessarily a bad reflection on you.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Newcomer

I don't know what it is but, I failed this exam 4 times. Last time was computer based. First time I did not study, I received a 212. Full credit for the essay. Second time, less than 200 and some knocked off the essay although the essay was the same one from before. I also am doing well/ differently in various areas each time. Meaning, excellent in math one test, horrible the next for Math! This last computer exam I received less than 200 in Math, less than 200 in family, consumers, & career etc. And a whopping undeserved 180 for my well prepared for essay. How am I getting different scores for the same essays? I am shocked. This is mentally, physically and emotionally draining for me. I have even tried the 8 hour test after a car accident, no help there. I appealed once in May for $35.00, still have not heard anything. I am really losing courage. How and when will this ever end? There must be something but I don't have the energy! Sorry for the novel, I welcome your thoughts and feedback.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Comrade

New York
Kindergarten Teacher
Ok yea I'm late. I myself am stressing as well. I graduate in May 2013 and I NEED to pass BEFORE the graduation date…

I did crappy in…
Family & Consumer Science & Career Day
Social Studies
ELA (WHYYYY!!! I'm a pro at ELA!)
Fine Arts (WHYYY Part 2!)

And I got 180 on my written response. I have no idea why I did so poor on that too, I'm good at miscue analysis…what did I friggen do wrong!!!!!

Anyone who has any pointers, please let me know! Im re-taking it on Nov 28 on the computer this time.

And I'm taking Students with Disabilities CST tomorrow…and I'm so not ready. Schoolwork is way too intense.

I'm ready to give this up altogether. I'm tired of disappointment and not graduating will break my heart. I swear, passing these tests do not make you a good teacher!!!! But what you gonna do…my talents apparently doesn't get me a job, it's the **** tests :/
Old 11-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
As for the E/LA and fine arts, you might possibly be overthinking the questions.

Use your ELA and fine arts content knowledge to bootstrap you into the social studies content: the literature, art, and music of a period inevitably reflect and are reflected in the history, for reasons having to do with where the money is and what ideologies drive its spending.

Family and consumer science questions on a multiple-subjects test are likely to be pretty commonsensical - but if you haven't already done so, you might want to consult the state content standards to flesh out the buzzwords that are in the test framework or subject matter requirements or whatever NYSTCE sees fit to call 'em.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Novice

USA
Preschool Teacher
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPapa View Post
So I failed this god forsaken test for the second time, this time I did worse. I tried Kaplan, tried NYSTCE packet…it's like studying doesn't help at all! I decided to spend more money and do it computer-based. I NEED to pass this test soon to be able to get a full-time job next September. What's the best way to study to pass this test? I'm getting tired of re-taking it multiple times, and it's enough that I also still need to take the CST in Students with Disabilities. Advice is very welcomed. Thank you!
Do notfeel discouraged! I took the multi-subject CST last month and failed it. I just took it again today and honesty felt drained lol. Won't find out until next month if its a pass or fail. This is the last test I need and Ill be closer to being certified. With that being said, I did look at the areas I did poorly in. However, my concern is that I will score lower over all and LOWER in sections I didn't do so bad in and vice-versa! lol. I did purchase the REA book as someone had mentioned. And I felt it did give a brief, and concise review of all the sub-areas. I am going to start doing extended review NOW in ALL subjects, and making note cards, just in case I have to take it again next year. And If I do, I know i'll give myself more time. I got the lowest in Family and Consumer Science, Health and Fitness,Foundations of Reading and Social Studies. And those are the parts I tried to study on. But I felt I didn't give my self enough time so Im gonna start re-reviewing now lol

but i definitely know how you feel. just want to get it over with.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Comrade

New York
Kindergarten Teacher
Worst part is, it's my 2nd year in grad school, and I barely have any extra time to study…and I just took the Students with Disabilities CST…now THAT was a nightmare. Sadly I have to take 2 CSTs...
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Comrade

New York
Kindergarten Teacher
Hey fellow NY teachers…I FINALLY passed the multi-subject after the third try!!!!! I am SO EXCITED! I also passed the students with disabilities CST, which is needed for my childhood special ed degree, which was a miracle because taking that was hell. Got both passing results at the same time, best birthday present ever!

Now I need to figure out how to apply for the license. Do you have to apply for it or does the graduate program I'm in do it?

Tags
cst, multisubject