A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Enthusiast

Midwest
3rd Grade--Lutheran School
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinderCowgirl View Post
We have a very large cafeteria and 3 aides, so the staggered silent times were supposed to alleviate it from becoming a loud din. I understand the thinking, but as others said it's just not DAP for early chlidhood. I actually like to hear them have conversations with each other-that's how they build social skills. Unfortunately it's one of the only times during the day they would be able to do that.
So are they supposed to be silent while other classes are talking? I can imagine that would be very confusing for a little one!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Companion

Washington state
1st Grade Teacher
Oh my. No talking at lunch? Sharing a meal with others/breaking bread together is part of what makes us human. Today's technology (computers, smartphones, etc.) has already done enough damage to our ability to socialize and communicate with others. We should be teaching children HOW to talk to each other, not prohibiting it.
Aside from my rant, I agree with Mopar and others. Classical music. Positive reinforcement. Etc. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Aficionado

USA
Agreed with all who have posted that the "no talking at lunch rule" is ridiculous. I get that it's not the OP's call, though, but is working within a system.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Devotee

Rhode Island
Dyslexia Tutor
Take that same number of teachers and throw them into the same room.

Just see if you can keep them quiet....
Old 11-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
I think we all disagree with this but it isn't the OP's choice.

What if every time they do not get a red card, immediately after lunch period, you do a special song and dance in class and gush your appreciation and then to further show your appreciation, you play a special but short game in class (which includes talking).
Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutNglue View Post
I think we all disagree with this but it isn't the OP's choice. .
I guess it does seem the OP has a choice of whether to do anything about the expectation. I'm not sure I'd have any consequence. Perhaps I'd say something as I picked up the kids, but I'm not sure it would be a battle I'd pick, and sacrifice precious reward time or opportunity for positive interaction for the sake of punishing a behavior which isn't important in the first place.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

California
Working Class Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
I'm glad that your administration is not requiring a consequence for this behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinderCowgirl View Post
Classes with no red cards for the week get an incentive.
Not getting an incentive is a consequence.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Groupie

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
That is kind of sad. We have colored solo cups (one set for each set of tables, so 2 for the class)- green, yellow, red. The kids start on green and can talk quietly, if they get out of hand they go to yellow, then they can go back to green after 5 minutes or go to red. On red they have to be silent for 5 min to get back to yellow (no going back to green). Each table that is on green earns a sticker each day and when we fill up a sticker chart (25), we get an extra recess. Yellow is no sticker and a class conversation and red is a class consequence. One of my consequences has been to write an apology letter (shared writing) to the cafeteria monitors during math stations (one of their favorite things to do).
Ours is the same.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Not getting an incentive is a consequence.
Technically, yes. Since they've never received it and they don't really see the other classes getting it (it's not like they do it at an assembly or anything)-they really don't care about it. When I talk to them and say-Ms. Smith's class got popsicles today because of getting all green in the cafeteria, the response was "I have popsicles at home".
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

California
Working Class Teacher
Maybe if they're good, they can wear ugly holiday sweaters to school.

Tags
behavior, initiatives, schoolwide