A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 11-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Cohort

USA
Left Purse at School :(

I accidently left my purse at work and didn't go back yesterday to get it because roads were bad (snowing). Today is a snow day. Luckily, I have my house keys, car keys, and cell with me. Everything else is in my purse including lactaid (allergic to milk and I can't take anything else because I only can have lactaid original that's mail order only). I don't have any at home.

According to the weather, it should be fine later.

I don't like that my purse is in school. I'm new to the school so I don't have anyone's number other than the teacher I work with (I'm a para for now), but even if she has a key to the building she doesn't drive in weather like this (even if it's almost fine).

I thought about calling the Town Hall, but I don't want to look stupid. I also wonder if anyone would pick up if schools are closed.

Anyone ever done this? What would you do?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 2 Other Jobs
Oh no! I'd hate if I actullay did that. Once, I went from my classroom to car & realized I wasn't carrying my purse because I always have my laptop that I pull on the roller cart & this other bag w/ my folders/papers, so I just had to walk back to my rm & get it. You know how you tend to think you're carrying everything when you're carrying something else.

Well, hopefully, the weather's good enough so you can return to work tomorrow. At least you didn't leave it over a weeekend or weeklong (or longer) holiday break.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 AM
Cohort

USA
Thank goodness, you only had to walk back into the building Ms. I. I am wondering what to do.

Should I call the Board of Ed. or Town Hall or just wait till tomorrow. Ugh!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 2 Other Jobs
Well, it really depended to me if I absolutely needed things in that purse. Coud I get away with spending a day (or two) without money/my wallet/driver's licnse, etc.? Well sure & if I get stopped by the police for some unforsaken reason, I'll tell him the truth & mention how the weather is. But I wouldn't do any excess driving around & just stay at home, unless it's for work of course. And also, don't eat/drink any dairy products.

This is a good lesson for all of us to keep a supply of cash & in your case, back-up lactaid in the house, just in case.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
I think that, unless it's life or death, you wait until tomorrow when you go in.

I always put my car keys in my purse so that I can't leave without it.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
I agree with MrsC that unless it's a matter of life or death, I would just wait.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Town hall and the police have real emergencies to deal with...especially under early season snow conditions. Your purse left in school is not an emergency, and truthfully you don't want word to get to your admin that you had the police come to get you in the building. Get it tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
I've gone back to school after arriving home to get my phone. I'm just realizing that I don't have my phone. It's got to be on my desk at work. No, I'm not driving back to get it, the custodians would be gone by the time I got there. It'll just have to wait.

What good would calling Town hall do? Do they have keys? If I called anyone it would be the principal or the building supervisor. If it's a snow day, the p is probably home & if the building supervisor is there, he's probably removing snow.

These things do happen, but unless it's a long weekend or there's something in your purse that is life or death I wouldn't call anyone. If there is something life or death in your purse, then you probably should have it stored in more then 1 location.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I wouldn't go back in this case. You have the most important things and I can't imagine the Lactaid would be a problem for a day or 2.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Companion

Iowa
Social Work Student
I would wait.

You should be okay without the lactaid for a day or two. At least for me, as long as I don't have an excessive amount if dairy I don't need my lactaid pills. The only time I take them now is if in eating ice cream or having a bowl of cereal with a cup of milk in it - which is extremely rare- like I normally eat my cereal dry.

Tags
left, purse, school